Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Night time allergies

(8 Posts)
user1476959966 Thu 20-Oct-16 11:44:59

Hi,
I am suffering horrendously at night with itching! So annoying. I've been told that bamboo bedding is the answer. Does anyone have any experience of it as it's quite expensive and I'd like to hear it actually works before I invest.
Thanks!

TheFirie Fri 21-Oct-16 00:54:35

After dark, the level of anti-histamine in your body lowers quite a lot, so this is why many have hives, itching at evenings/nights.
Having bamboo bedding doesn't make much sense unless your whole wardrobe is made of bamboo and won't solve the problem. Take an antihistamine around 7 pm and see if it makes a difference

user1476959966 Wed 26-Oct-16 11:06:18

Thanks! I do take an antihistamine every other day but I'm still super uncomfortable at night. I had no idea your levels of histamine drop at night though so thats really interesting.

There is a company near me that sell bamboo and I did call to ask some questions. They said they can't claim it does help but told me to look online for independent reviews which I did. I must say I am tempted as I am at the end of my tether!
www.betweenthesheets.co.uk/product-category/uk/bamboo-bed-sheets/
Says they're hypoallergenic on the website so I'm guessing there's some truth to it. I have read loads of reviews now and most are really positive. I might also change the time that I take my tablet and make it an evening dose.

Many thanks for your help. Just knowing levels drop at night it great.
Smiley face: smile

PinkSwimGoggles Wed 26-Oct-16 11:13:57

cotton (or anything that can be boil washed) will do.
bamboo has the advantage of being extra soft so that can help.

I would work on removing as many allergens as you can from bedroom. boil wash bedding & night clothes (extra rinse). hoover & damp dust the whole room every day. do not keep lotions and fragrances in bedroom.

PinkSwimGoggles Wed 26-Oct-16 11:15:30

if you use feather pillows/duvets replace with anti allergic ones.
get an anti alkergic matress cover.

anotherdayanothersquabble Wed 26-Oct-16 21:04:54

Could be dust, dust mites, feathers or man made fibres. DS has natural fibres but excluding feathers and natural latex and his night time allergies reduced significantly. (I have just had two days of hell on holiday due to a cushion I didn't know had feathes in it and new foam especially memory foam is awful for him so we stay in old air bnb's rather than hotels!!). In our experience some of the anti allergy products are chemical laden and can cause a problem for our hypersensitive child.

carmenta Wed 26-Oct-16 21:14:30

Bamboo fabric is just a type of viscose, i.e. very sweat-inducing, I wouldn't use it for sheets. The process used to create viscose removes any characteristics that the bamboo itself may originally have had (eg anti-bacterial).

You're better off with cotton washed in non-bio and a mattress topper that doesn't house dust mites (latex or memory foam), plus a non-feather pillow. And vacuum under the bed frequently.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Wed 09-Nov-16 02:50:32

For me, the night itches turned out to be the washing powder I was using. Fairy is the only thing I can use,and no softener. Staying in hotels or at friends houses can be a nightmare when with antihistamine tablets. Have you tried different washing products?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now