Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Multiple food allergies in a baby

(7 Posts)
Moofin Thu 29-Sep-16 20:32:23

Just wondering if anyone could share their experiences of babies with multiple food allergy. LO is 7 months, so far we are looking at potential allergies to advocado, banana, egg and milk. Tried a tiny bit of peanut after advice from dietician but this was followed by mild hives and projectile vomit sad so thinking this is also a possibility. Reactions have otherwise mainly been hives, and one scary one with facial swelling but no breathing difficulties. Have been advised to always carry piriton but feeling in limbo as our appointment for allergy clinic is 2 months away. Interested to hear any other experiences!

BBB81 Thu 29-Sep-16 21:08:23

Sorry to hear this, I understand how stressful it is. My DD is also 7 months, she is allergic to cows milk protein and also possibly eggs, wheat and soya, however due to a delayed diagnosis her digestive system has been damaged by the exposure to the allergens (through breastfeeding) and so she is currently reacting badly to all food and is solely on neocate and neocate spoon. Her symptoms sound different to your baby as she only has gastro-intestinal reactions, if you are struggling to get enough calories into your baby it is worth asking your GP or dietician for neocate spoon, it is a high calorie hypo-allergenic weaning food which can be eaten alone or mixed with fruit or veg.

Bagofmashings Thu 29-Sep-16 21:23:37

All I can say is just hang in there for a while and maybe just stick to foods you know are safe until your appointment. At one point we could only find 12 safe foods for DS2. Weaning was very delayed and we were advised to introduce a new food every 3 days. It took ages but he's now 17 months and all things considered is doing amazingly. He is allergic to 8 things and I think has pretty much grown out of his dairy allergy 😀 Your LO is still very little, it's worth baring I mind that they don't really need a lot of solids at 7 months, are you breastfeeding or have you been prescribed a dairy free formula?

Moofin Thu 29-Sep-16 21:43:22

He's breast feed with no intention to stop anytime soon - we've been doing baby led weaning and he only eats little bits - although in conscious he'll be 9 months before we get the testing done confused - dietician has advised avoidance of all potential allergens but to try potential high risk foods in pin prick amounts as they can't test if he's never been exposed - hence our failed experiment with peanut butter . Luckily wheat is fine as he's only be eating bloody veg otherwise. poor wee mite , we love our food and I'm sad he might end up with such a restricted diet (lots of carrots and pasta!)

Moofin Thu 29-Sep-16 21:44:51

Good to hear of others outgrowing them so young!

Bagofmashings Thu 29-Sep-16 22:04:12

If you're breast feeding he will have been exposed to food you've eaten so I wouldn't worry too much about that.
We started off with blw but he ended up having to give him mashed up food as I felt he wasn't getting enough considering his very limited diet.

palanca Fri 30-Sep-16 08:29:59

Have a look at anaphylaxis campaign website - lots of useful information

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now