Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Milk Ladder - practical advice please!

(5 Posts)
Mawsymoo Mon 19-Sep-16 21:28:40

DS2 is nearly 9 months old and was diagnosed with non-IgE mediated CMPA at 3 months. He had a dietician review today and she is keen for me to start him on the milk ladder.

She emphasised the importance of continuing to give the food from previous steps as we move up the ladder. Now let's assume the best case scenario and he manages to tolerate some or all of the steps - am I really supposed to give a 9/10 month old biscuits and cakes and pancakes and shepherd's pie etc all in one day? Or can I be a bit more reasonable about it and just give a mini-muffin as a snack on the week he's having shepherd's pie? I'm worried about how I'm going to fit any fruit and vegetables into his diet!

He had a little bit of malted milk biscuit tonight so we've made a start - I really hope this goes well...

Mawsymoo Tue 20-Sep-16 03:29:22

Feel like an idiot now - DS has been up screaming and farting since 9pm sad. So it looks like we're not going to get anywhere on the milk ladder.

fluffikins Thu 22-Sep-16 18:29:55

Try again in 3 months. Mine failed step 1 at 11 months but got to step 9 at 14 months. I was also concerned with the sugar but she wouldn't even touch muffins or pancakes so I skipped some steps and also found things like cheesy breadsticks and other alternatives - there's a Facebook group for cmpa reintroduction which is v useful for advice

1plus3plus1 Thu 22-Sep-16 18:38:58

I've done it with my youngest. The first time round I stopped after a couple of weeks because he reacted badly, then I left it a couple of months until I tried again.

The second time we got to step 4 before he reacted so we stayed on step 3 for a really long time! He's just in the last couple of weeks started drinking milk, and hasn't reacts so far, so I think we've cracked it.

It's been a really long process (18 months), but I'm really glad I stuck with it as we can now eat all the same things, and I don't have to check food labels everywhere we go! Although actually the hardest bit was me having to go dairy free when I was feeding him - I love dairy, and hadn't appreciated quite how much I ate! I was grumpy for a good few weeks before I weaned him and breathed a sigh of relief.

So dont get disheartened - I think you have to do it so gradually to do it properly.

Mawsymoo Tue 27-Sep-16 21:56:54

Just seeing these replies now - thanks so much! We had a rough 24 hours with him but he's back to normal now and the dietician said to wait 3 more months before starting with a crumb of biscuit this time! Hopefully we have more success next time - your stories have actually given me great hope so thanks flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now