Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Allergies to plasters

(8 Posts)
carolmusic Fri 16-Sep-16 08:17:57

My son recently fell off his bike and ended up with stitches in his leg. We found out from this that he's allergic to plasters and now has a rash, I've tried Savlon and E45 doesn't seem to do much. Can anyone recommend anything else please.

PitchFork Fri 16-Sep-16 08:18:57

nothing
it will go away after a while.

LifeBeginsNow Fri 16-Sep-16 08:21:36

My son is too and I've been told boots do some special plasters for people allergic to regular ones.

Nanasueathome Fri 16-Sep-16 08:23:34

I am allergic to plasters and have to say that there is really nothing you can put on a plaster rash to make it go away quicker
It will heal better by being left
I do use micropore now if I cut myself and have no allergy to this, so maybe worth buying some and keeping in stock for future

carolmusic Fri 16-Sep-16 19:57:23

The rash is really itchy though so he needs something to stop the itching really

PitchFork Fri 16-Sep-16 20:06:34

you can give him piriton for the itch

anotherdayanothersquabble Sun 18-Sep-16 18:52:54

Avoid anything with petroleum for a while so no Savlon or E45. In my experience allergic reactions tend to make my DS hypersensitive to lots of things, temporarily.

Instead keep it clean. Rosehip oil (patch test) or olive oil. This should stop the itching.

Mouikey Wed 21-Sep-16 08:47:51

I'm allergic to plasters (mainly fabric but my particular allergy is colophany which is found in the glue) but I can use micro pore. I use an anti itch cream (lanacane I think) to stop me itching (so much I bleed and get infections!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now