Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any epipen dcs out there?

(5 Posts)
buttermymuffins Tue 06-Sep-16 22:34:18

Hi. Looking for some words of wisdom really. Ds1 (11) just been diagnosed with allergic reaction to bee & wasp venom to the point of needing to carry epipen with him/us everywhere & school storing one for him. I'm fairly relaxed about this (as I am with most things) but do I need big red flashing lights everywhere I go? He starts new school tomorrow - what do I say to them? They don't know yet as he has literally been given them today. He doesn't have a mobile phone yet - should I get him one in case he gets stung & he's on his own? I need to train a few people (dgs, dh, nanny etc) & have had a chat with ds2 about what to do just in case. Any pearls of wisdom out there please? I have heard horror stories of schools having no one trained etc. confused thank you.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 06-Sep-16 22:42:32

Schools will be trained don't worry.

Give the office 2 epi pens to keep, you'll need to fill out a care plan form. School allergy nurse will be in touch too ime.
She must carry 2 with her and yes mobile phone is what we've always done smile

user1471537877 Wed 07-Sep-16 16:25:14

Hi I also have severe anaphylaxis to wasp stings and carry Epipens

General advice, don't drink from open cans etc as the little beggars can and do crawl in and you risk an airway sting! Use bottles and replace lids

Steer clear of dustbins especially at this stage in the year when they are no longer working for hives, dopey and more aggressive

Do not walk bare foot outside and avoid wearing yellow which attracts them

Eating out doors is always a calculated risk as they are attracted to food

Super drug make an insect repellent that states it is effective with wasps

Keep an electric insect killing racket available at home incase one sneaks in

We have insect screen on Windows to keep them out

user1471537877 Wed 07-Sep-16 16:25:55

Oh and consider a medic alert wristband for him

user123456789 Sat 24-Sep-16 05:46:04

Also, not sure if you already know but they only have a 6 month life span so worth keeping a diary to reminder to replace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now