Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Daughter coeliac results

(2 Posts)
tweedledee1 Tue 16-Aug-16 20:45:31

My 3year old daughter was diagnosed as type 1 diabetic at the end of March and as part of the initial post-diagnosis checks, she was given a coeliac screening which came back a few weeks ago as abnormal. The hospital said they wanted to retest in 3 months time (November). I had her at the GP last week as we're having trouble controlling her diabetes and she's back to drinks copious amount and running to the loo. She also looks exhausted all the time. Wanted to check there was no underlying infections. The GP said to redo the coeliac bloods now which we have done and finally got the results which were just out-with the normal range (I don't know what I'm takin about lol just repeating the doctor). Her first results were 10.9 and the 2nd 5.5. The diabetic team have said again to wait until the next clinic in November and if she's still ok then, they'll do a 6 month referral for more bloods. Can anyone give me any more information about what these results mean? The diabetes team seem to be staying very vague and November seems to be a very long way away right now. I don't even know what is considered a high reading and what could just be a fluke or maybe there's another reason her results were "abnormal". the info online doesn't seem to be very easy to decipher. :/

Thanks for any help!!

Namelesswonder Fri 19-Aug-16 22:27:26

The normal range for the Coeliac blood test is dependant on the lab used. Some labs say normal is less than 5, others less than 10. The blood test measures the level of antibodies the blood produces when a Coeliac is exposed to gluten. My daughter tests came back at 168 and 254. She is a clear Coeliac! I would say your daughter is borderline and they will test again. With readings this low she would need further testing before they can proceed further hence redo bloods in a few month.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now