Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

If you are a GF baker, please tell me where you buy your ingredients from

(7 Posts)
themindchangingowl Fri 05-Aug-16 16:45:54

I have found a recipe for GF pizza base, usually I do the food shop on line (especially in the school holidays).

I need Sorghum flour, potato starch, tapioca starch and xanthan gum. I've had no luck on Ocado or Sainsburys (not surprising really).

Xanthan gum I had heard mixed reviews about and did think that there was something else that could be used instead?

CMOTDibbler Fri 05-Aug-16 17:00:49

If you can do dairy, just buy the Isabels brazilian cheesebread mix and roll it out as a pizza base instead (I prebake it for 15 min, flip, top and then bake). Super tasty, soft, bendable, and gets consumed super fast.

You can often get sorghum etc on Amazon oddly enough, but I do venture to Wholefoods occasionally to buy stuff like that as well

Laselva Sun 07-Aug-16 17:21:13

I get my more obscure flours from Planet Organic, Whole foods or my local health food shop.
I live in London so have quite a choice.
Xanthum gum is the easiest of your ingredients for me to find, I'm pretty sure they even stock it in my local m&s. The only sun for it that I know of is guar guar gum, but I've found that tricky to source.
I buy 'Bobs Red Mill' sorghum flour, it's an American brand that they stock in Whole foods.
I buy 'Infinity Foods' tapioca starch and potato starch from my local health food shop. Infinity foods do loads of gluten free flours (though I've not come across sorghum flour).
You could try googling them and seeing if they do mail order or have stockists near you.
If you do get any a tip is to store them in the freezer, to extend their shelf life.

Pagwatch Sun 07-Aug-16 17:22:58

My local health food shop has everything I need.

Myheartisbeating Sun 07-Aug-16 17:24:00

Amazon. Although xantham gum you can get in Tescos and morrisons (and definitely used to be available in sainsburys). Doves do it, in a tub alongside the GF baking powder.

Natsku Sun 07-Aug-16 17:25:42

Xanthan gum is essential for baking any bread like product in my experience. I usually bake from flour mixes rather than mix my own though (usually just go for the cheapest which is just GF wheat starch, which is probably very unhealthy but tastes the closest to non-GF)

user1471537877 Wed 24-Aug-16 20:33:40

I bake a lot of gluten free with 3 coeliacs in the house, most supermarkets carry the flours, health food shops are good but to be honest for pizza I often make using a Warbutons gf wrap as a base or for a treat buy the pizza express fresh gf pizza from Sainsburys

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now