Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Allergic reaction?

(8 Posts)
Hidingtonothing Wed 22-Jun-16 15:41:38

I've come out in what look like hives all over one side of my face and the only thing I can think of that I've done differently is had crunchy nut cornflakes for breakfast instead of toast. I've had them loads of times before with no reaction but not for ages, I also rarely have milk these days (just because I don't like it much) so I guess it could equally be that although I don't have a known allergy to nuts or milk. Is it possible to develop allergies to things you've had often in the past without a reaction or to have a 'one off' reaction to certain foods? It looks awful, would piriton help?

LifeIsGoodish Wed 22-Jun-16 16:00:55

Try Piriton - it's unlikely to do you any harm if this is not an allergic reaction.

Do you sleep on that side, or rest your head on your hand on that side, or hold the phone to your ear on that side?

Food reactions can be one-sided, but contact reactions are much more likely to be one-sided than food reactions.

BTW you can develop an allergy to anything at any time, or have been so mildly allergic to something that you didn't really notice it, until it suddenly flares up.

LifeIsGoodish Wed 22-Jun-16 16:02:21

Was there any sunshine yesterday? And if so did you have the sun on that side?

Hidingtonothing Wed 22-Jun-16 16:10:42

Pretty sure it's not contact, none of the things you mention apply and I haven't changed detergent, soap etc so breakfast is the only thing remotely unusual. I did have a weird food reaction once before to (I think) corn on the cob, was covered head to toe in a rash but never reacted to it before or since so put it down to the fact I was breastfeeding at the time. I suspect I am generally a bit sensitive but it takes something additional to push it over into an actual reaction, I am particularly stressed and a bit run down atm. Will take some piriton and see if that calms it down, thanks for replying flowers

Hidingtonothing Wed 22-Jun-16 16:14:56

No life I haven't left the house for a couple of days so not the sun. Need shopping now though so will be scaring people at the supermarket with my hideous face grin

chloesmumtoo Fri 24-Jun-16 22:11:41

My dd has allergies to corn/maize which came up positive in skin prick tests
and blood test. Has avoided corn and all corn products like cornflakes, wotsits ect for many years. She is trying to reintroduce now but did get an itchy mouth after trying wotsits the other day? Tried corn with salmon but backfired as she seems to get an itchy mouth with salmon too. Has so many mild/oral allergy type reactions to foods but anaphylactic to peanuts. Watch out with the corn containing foods just in case corn is the culprit. My DD definitely reacts to things more so when poorly, even things she does not normally react to.

Ditsy4 Sun 26-Jun-16 08:25:01

Yes, you can. I have had triggers to foods I have eaten for ages including major reactions where I had to go to A&E several times.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 26-Jun-16 08:28:42

Absolutely you can suddenly develop a nut allergy out of the blue- take Piriton asap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now