Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

GF breakfast ideas?

(13 Posts)
Ilovenannyplum Mon 06-Jun-16 13:31:47

Newly diagnosed (most of my family have it, I've been in denial for a long time!)

I'm quite happy with lunch and dinner foods that are 'safe' but really struggling with breakfast ideas, previously grabbed a cereal bar but struggling to find a GF equivalent that isn't super high in sugar and calories....

Any ideas? I have a 1yr old and have to run off for nursery drops so mornings can be a bit manic

also if anyone can recommend any frozen oven chips that would be SUPER!

CMOTDibbler Mon 06-Jun-16 13:37:31

Try the Bakery on Main or Trek bars

Frozen oven chips - tbh I buy the cheap Aldi ones which are GF, or the McCains regular ones are too. Its just the fancy ones that have a coating imo.

To go with your chips, the GF chicken tempura things from M&S are great

megletthesecond Mon 06-Jun-16 13:43:57

There's loads on pinterest.

Most weeks I cook a gluten free baked oatmeal 'casserole' with berries and strawberries. It portions off to four bowl fulls that I reheat each morning. Let me find a link.

Wonderone Mon 06-Jun-16 13:44:23

Aldi do yoghurt coated Rice cakes that work well for a handy emergency breakfast. They are naturally gf and 95p for 9 in a pack so pretty cheap too

megletthesecond Mon 06-Jun-16 13:59:53

Here's the link. Tbh I don't put the choc chips in. And I use frozen berries and freeze ripe bananas.
allingoodtasteblog.wordpress.com/2013/05/24/gluten-free-baked-oatmeal-casserole/

megletthesecond Mon 06-Jun-16 14:01:19

Oops, I missed the bit about you not wanting too much sugar

Citizenerased123 Mon 06-Jun-16 14:27:03

My husband has coeliac disease so we all pretty much follow a gluten free diet to avoid cross contamination (and im just too lazy to clean all the time).
The trouble with anything pre-packaged is that they do fill them up with excess sugar and fat and cereal bars tend to be around 25% or more sugar. The Eat natural cereal bars aren't too sugary (some are better than others) and are nice. When we have time at the weekend we have poached eggs on Gf bread (have you discovered Newburn bakehouse/ Warburtons artisan loaves- they're delicious). Or we order a batch of loaves from www.wheat-freebakerydirect.co.uk and put them in the freezer.

During the week we have porridge (oats are GF but are at risk of contamination during milling so you need GF oats), or I make bircher muesli the night before by soaking the oats in apple juice then grate an apple and add yoghurt and seeds/nuts/raisins in the morning and I eat this on my way to work. Or I sometimes make GF muffins that last a few days. I always use non GF recipes and use Doves farm GF SF raising flour (it has xantham gum in it) and as long as there are enough eggs to bind and to help as a raising agent everything has turned out pretty well and you can't tell its GF.

sofasetteecouch Mon 06-Jun-16 14:32:51

Does anyone know a GF alternative to Oats to make porridge with? My DH is sensitive to Oats as well as wheat, rye and barley.

Citizenerased123 Mon 06-Jun-16 17:16:19

sofasetteecouch
You can get rice flakes to make porridge. I'm not a big fan myself but my MiL loves it

Notsoaccidentproneanymore Mon 06-Jun-16 17:26:01

Jamie Oliver does a sweet potato muffin. You could make those and substitute gluten free flour?

They freeze well, and you can microwave them from frozen for a minute or so.

I've made them a few times and added ground almonds instead of Parmesan. I think they'd also be nice with lemon or orange zest in them.

Or have a yogurt and fruit or nuts.

Ilovenannyplum Mon 06-Jun-16 17:59:22

You're all fabulous, thank you!!! smile

BravoHopeful Mon 13-Jun-16 12:37:00

Nakd bars are good - very healthy ingredients.

If you're newly diagnosed you shouldn't be having gf oats for 6 months so watch out for that.

Boiled eggs are good (boil the night before and have in fridge).

Alara Luxurious porridge is gf, oat-free and (I think) very tasty with a handful of raisins or seeds. You can get it in Waitrose and Ocado, and Amazon.

Chelsea26 Mon 13-Jun-16 12:52:03

Scrambled eggs with ham, spring onion, mushroom and spinach. Either chop veg then add eggs in morning and microwave in 30 sec bursts until nearly done or make a big batch, pour mixture into muffin tin and bake for 15mins then freeze and microwave in morning for 10/15 secs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now