Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

IBS suspected (me!)

(6 Posts)
Bunsyduff Sat 14-May-16 13:53:52

Would anyone be able to recommend someone who deals with diagnosing/ treating IBS through diet in central / Nw London? Am beginning to suspect I may have it- and need some help/ guidance!
Thanks all x

Spam88 Sat 14-May-16 16:12:30

Hi Bunsyduff, you'll need to see your GP for a diagnosis as they'll need to do blood tests to rule out any other conditions.

HisNameWasPrinceAndHeWasFunky Sat 28-May-16 10:56:29

I'm in the same place as you bunsy.

And I've absolutely had enough. I have docs appt in 10 days but my online research, including NHS indicates it is mainly sorted by diet. Taking probiotics also helps a bit.

I'm now looking at starting the FODMAP elimination diet. 75% of the foods I eat are on the NO list so it will be a challenge especially as I would need to eat more meat. (I eat very little meat).

But I did do a similar veggie version of FODMAP in my 20's and can honestly say it is the best I have ever physically felt.

But I have to do something. I'm now feeling rubbish on a good day and it's really degrading my life.

Absinthe9 Sat 28-May-16 13:22:27

Agree with seeing the doctor to rule out other things. I think that is an important step as there are a number of other things which can give IBS type symptoms including coeliac and early stage stomach ulcer.

As a lifelong sufferer of IBS (I can remember having it when I was three) I think it is partly triggered by stress, so is better when I take time to meditate or exercise, and partly due to gut sensitivity.

I can eat sugar and wheat but too much of either triggers it ( and I am an old gimmer so I spotted this at least 40 years ago before it became fashionable to demonise those things) so I wouldn't eat bread and pasta in the same day. I don't seem to be triggered by dairy or citrus which apparently some people are.

Probiotics do seem to help a bit if I remember to take them. If you have developed IBS as an adult after something like gastroenteritis then I'd say they were essential for at least a few months. You can buy some high dose ones from health food shops aimed at e.g. people travelling to third world countries and anecdotally these work well.

I have spent periods of my life for a few months at a time eating only protein and veg. If I do that I have no problems at all. However life is too short to eat like that all the time.

I'd suggest you keep a food diary noting how your gut feels before each meal and 30 then 60 minutes after it. I always know within half an hour if I've overdone it. I suspect you will see some patterns fairly quickly.

Personally I think Fodmap is a pretty depressing diet, but you could try moving to light protein and veg only for a week or so (no grains) and see if that helps then gradually introduce other things. The "good" thing about IBS is that if diet is a component you see it quite quickly.

The other thing I'd say is to get yourself some imodium or better still the cheaper generic alternative. I find it works well and quickly and carrying it in my bag gives me the confidence to know I can manage it if I need to which reduces the stress element. Also oil of peppermint capsules are effective to soothe gut cramping.

chickenowner Tue 31-May-16 16:06:55

I'm in the same position! I have a GP appointment for tomorrow morning. I've had a lot of stomach cramping and diarrhoea over the past 2 to 3 months. I'm trying to cut out wheat to see if that helps but it's too early to tell at the moment.

It's all a bit upsetting really, I've had to cancel social events which I hate doing! I'm going to try Absinthe's advice of a food diary, imodium and peppermint oil. I have a lunch out with friends planned for Friday and am determined to go!

HisNameWasPrinceAndHeWasFunky Wed 01-Jun-16 11:16:53

Been on low FODMAP food for 2 days now and I am actually starting to feel less dreadful, for the first time in what feels like forever.

Doctors appt is next Tuesday - but I can't wait until then. The IBS is now really impacting my life. So I did a lot of low-FODMAP research over the weekend, got some lacto free milk in and have been making sure I am avoiding FODMAPS.

Early days but I am optimistic this will help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now