Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does this look like an allergic reaction?

(7 Posts)
JoyofSpring Sun 01-May-16 19:03:24

Just started DC2 on solids doing baby led weaning so food is being smeared liberally all over the place!

I've noticed this rash which I put down to delicate skin being irritated by food when it hasn't had anything on it before but it seems to be getting worse - despite careful cleaning after meals. It's hot to the touch and looks sore.

I'm going to go to the GP on Tuesday when they are open but wondered if the wise women of MN can help! Could it be an allergy? Or is it just irritation from acidic food or perhaps even Slapped Cheek syndrome. Any thoughts?!

YorkieDorkie Sun 01-May-16 21:40:14

Eek! Poor little mite. I think that needs to be seen quite urgently. As its around the mouth and cheeks it would certainly suggest an allergy but unless you know any doctors... Can you call the NHS line?

JoyofSpring Sun 01-May-16 22:22:10

Thanks for replying!

The rash has been there for a few days, but has got worse this afternoon. I wasn't worried about it before because I just thought it was where the skin was irritated from acids in food, but it is making me wonder a bit now!

Sadly, I don't know any doctors who would be helpful. Will try to doc in the morning because I know from experience that NHS just tell you to go to A&E and I don't think it's worth dragging her down there at night.

Is it more likely to be an allergy if it's around the mouth then? I would have thought allergies would be all over the body? And would an allergy take a long time to calm down?

Hassled Sun 01-May-16 22:24:31

You say it's got worse today - what did he eat today? Is there any sort of pattern?

Smartiepants79 Sun 01-May-16 22:26:40

What has she been eating? Any obvious culprits that could be the problem. If it's getting worse then definitely get her seen.

JoyofSpring Mon 02-May-16 09:23:45

Well I think strawberries made it worse but not sure if that would be due to an allergy or just skin irritation.

This morning it looks much less red. porridge for breakfast and so far no further flare ups...
I will keep an eye on it and write down what foods it seems to be triggered by.

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Mon 02-May-16 12:28:31

Looks just like my lo when he had a reaction recently...he's allergic to cows milk protein but recently had some solids for the first time and ended up like this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now