Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

should I be trying peanuts with my other children?

(6 Posts)
SophieofShepherdsBush Mon 28-Mar-16 12:08:50

I'm petrified of even trying to be honest. Ds1 had a couple of reactions to peanuts when he was tiny, not major, antihistamine and a trip to the doctor involved. He had skin prick tests when he was four and the allergy nurse said judging by the size of the hive that he should carry an epipen and avoid all nuts, even though peanuts were the only positive reaction.

Ds2 &DD have never had any peanuts. 4 and 2 years. I feel I should be letting them try, as I'm sure I read that total avoidance can lead to developing allergies. But I'm too scared to try. I am a very anxious person anyway.
How should we proceed? Park up near a hospital and give them a tiny taste?
Also, I was wondering about tree nuts too. Could DS be more likely to develop an allergy to them by total avoidance? I really wanted them all to eat nuts and have been including small amounts of ground almonds in baking. Bad idea or ok? Don't want to confuse them, so we tell them no nuts of any kind. I'm very confused and anxious myself. Any advice much appreciated.

SophieofShepherdsBush Thu 31-Mar-16 20:46:31

Bumpy mcbumpbump....

TeaBelle Thu 31-Mar-16 20:52:44

Dh has numerous allergies and I was advised for dd to be exposed asap. I think she tried all of the allergens within her first month of weaning.

GP said that I could try gradual introduction if I was nervous or just go straight for eating if I was happy to. If you want to do gradual introduction then on day 1 rub some peanut butter on the inner elbow - keep an eye on it for redness or swelling of hives. Day 2 - same but behind the ear. Day 3 rub on lips. Day 4 consume.

SophieofShepherdsBush Thu 31-Mar-16 21:45:43

OK teabelle, thanks that's helpful. Gulp. Just so nervous about it.....

stripedpenguin Thu 31-Mar-16 21:51:19

We were also told to introduce tree nuts asap. We had skin prick tests for my allergic DC and nuts that had a mild result we had to introduce in hospital. I have my non allergic DC their first peanut butter sandwich in the hospital car park (we were there for another reason but the timing of the sandwich was pre planned!). It's nerve wracking but better you introduce than random consumption somewhere else. And also early and frequent exposure can reduce chances of later allergy I was told. Good luck OP

SophieofShepherdsBush Thu 31-Mar-16 22:24:06

Thank you stripedpenguin. I will take a deep breath and do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now