Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Biphasic reactions

(9 Posts)
babybarrister Mon 07-Mar-16 14:28:58

Ladies and gentlemen I just wanted to share my experiences last night of DS having a biphasic reaction so that we can all learn from eachother. Somehow I had been under the impression that biphasic reactions did not happen if adrenaline had already been administered - I am afraid that I was wrong about this as having had adrenaline administered DS then had a further reaction whilst in hospital.This second reaction was probably about an hour later.

Please therefore even if the reaction seems to have gone away and your DC is up and chatting as DS was, do take them in to hospital to be observed.

crackedphone Mon 07-Mar-16 21:58:01

Son all ok now?

our son had a very odd reaction last month. sudden throat swelling and closing. No food allergen eaten or any reason found at all. Responded to epi once we recognised it as a reaction and anaphylaxtic symptom.

Suppose we all must expect the unexpected and go to hospital!

Hope you are all ok, and did you get prescription for replacement auto injectors with no hassle?

babybarrister Tue 08-Mar-16 13:24:27

Yes thank you, fine now. Hospital brilliant and gave us a rolls Royce service including further epipens etc

WhereDidAllThoseYesterdaysGo Fri 11-Mar-16 13:25:06

Sorry to hear that but thanks for sharing.
What did your dd react to?

INeedNewShoes Fri 11-Mar-16 13:30:01

Sorry that you've had this scare Babybarrister

It's a real problem with lack of information given when Epipens etc. are prescribed. Adrenaline injections only delay the reaction to allow enough time for proper supervised medical care to be administered.

I always thought that the adrenaline actually treated the reaction as I had had reactions where following use of the epipen symptoms subsided. I think these must have just been milder reactions. Anything approaching anaphylacxis needs hospital treatment as a matter of urgency even when adrenaline has already been administered.

It's so dangerous that people aren't made aware of this. It is imperative that anyone who uses adrenaline to treat an allergic reaction goes straight to hospital as they are very likely to still need intravenous steroids and antihistamine.

babybarrister Fri 11-Mar-16 20:24:24

DS reacted to sesame in a sauce wrongly added to his meal at a restaurant ...

He did then end up with intravenous steroids etc

I guess the weird thing about these reactions is he is now perfectly fine thankfully

INeedNewShoes Sat 12-Mar-16 02:21:08

Really pleased to hear that your DS is in good form again after the reaction.

The recovery from the allergy symptoms tends to be fairly quick for me. But on the couple of occasions that I've had to use both epipens I was absolutely shattered and shaky for a couple of days - which I put down to a side effect of having used a biggish dose of adrenaline.

Mistakes happen. I hope this won't put you off eating out OP. It's great that your DS is experiencing eating out despite the allergies.

greencybermummy Sun 13-Mar-16 18:12:23

Thank you for reminding me of this. I did know in theory but it is useful to be reminded not to be complacent as sometimes I think I am.

Glad all is fine now, hope it doesn't put you off eating out. Are you the poster who had the fruit juice issue a few years ago?

Life as an allergy mum/parent is a roller coaster isn't it.

babybarrister Sun 13-Mar-16 19:17:29

Thanks - yes I am the very same poster with the milk in the fruit juice .... This restaurant at least immediately admitted their mistake and have taken some practical steps to avoid its recurrence - simple stuff involving the use of highlighter pens

They have also agreed to raise some money for the Anaphylaxis Campaign which as you may know receives no government funding ....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now