Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

itchy mouth

(10 Posts)
HeyYouGetOffMyCloud Tue 01-Mar-16 17:22:44

Dd who is 7 and allergic to milk, nuts, grass pollen and dust mites and has asthma frequently complains of having an itchy mouth. It is more frequent over the last few weeks and is now every evening.

I cannot work out what it's from. It often happens at home so I'm wondering about dust, although we make every effort to keep dust down. Surely it can't be pollen already? Any ideas gratefully received, or anyone else have this?

It happens sometimes at school or elsewhere. It's all a bit if a mystery.

Quoteunquote Tue 01-Mar-16 21:32:46

It's been a really high pollen count lately , so it may well be that.

KanyesVest Tue 01-Mar-16 21:39:48

I've been suffering with hay fever since early January, so it could easily be a pollen reaction.

HeyYouGetOffMyCloud Tue 01-Mar-16 22:09:59

Gosh really. Already? It's grass pollen that's her problem but she only started last year so we're new to this.

She needs to stay off the antihistamines until after her milk challenge on the 17th. hmm

Thank you for the replies.

Quoteunquote Tue 01-Mar-16 22:38:57

The next time you build a house/buy/rebuild try to put in a MVHR unit, as then at least your home environment will be filleted and as a plus the heating bills will go down.

crackedphone Tue 01-Mar-16 22:48:28

looks like tree pollen allergy to me. on daily antihistamine?

mishmash1979 Tue 01-Mar-16 22:52:52

Why do u have to boff antihistamines for so long??? We only have to b off the for 5 days b4 tests or food challenges

HeyYouGetOffMyCloud Wed 02-Mar-16 03:50:09

Mish She's on daily antihistamines for the hayfever season but hasn't generally needed them in winter. For challenges it's been 3 days. It's just that generally oncee shes on them she's on.

Cracked - she has tested negative for trees about 6 months ago.

Should she start antihistamines before the season?

HeyYouGetOffMyCloud Wed 02-Mar-16 09:29:12

I'm wondering whether we should just start her on the antihistamines now and if needs be postpone milk challenge ??
I assume starting early is a good tactic. As I said this is our first year of this (well we pieced things together mid summer last year - mostly a dry cough)
But she just passed an egg challenge And it would be do good if she could have milk.
Dilemma !

whatevva Sat 26-Mar-16 16:09:01

www.allergyuk.org/oral-allergy-syndrome/oral-allergy-syndrome

Check out oral allergy or food/pollen allergy on Allergy UK. It is related to hayfever and gives an itchy mouth with foods containing similar proteins to the pollen.

Mine gives me sore tonsils sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now