Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Eczema, extremely dry skin!!

(8 Posts)
asblackasyoursoul Sun 21-Feb-16 16:10:06

Hi, I posted on here a few months back with concerns about my skin. I was told to ask my doctor for a referral to a dermatologist, which I did. However he told me that doctors are pretty much dermatologists too, so there was no need. I was just given various shampoos and shower creams, none of which really helped.

I'm 16, suffered eczema all my life. I use Epaderm every day, every morning i have to use it on my entire upper body and face before dressing.
I wouldn't actually mind this too much if my skin didn't start flaking halfway through the day. By night time it's flaking quite a bit and is dry and tight. This is such an annoyance like, if I'm to say go out at night etc, I really don't have time to be undressing just to moisturise all over again. I'm just really sick of it. Changing my diet doesn't help, either.

The one and only cream I have used that kept my skin amazingly soft, was Neutrogena. Unfortunately it's really expensive and I just don't have the money. I was wondering if anyone knew of any other really good creams like that? I've also tried Diprobase which was even worse than epaderm.. I've tried body butters from body shop, again didn't do much good, also tried all sorts of in shower moisturisers which if anything made my skin drier.
Sorry for such a long post, thanks!

JsOtherHalf Sun 21-Feb-16 19:51:26

This is a fishoil that I give to 9 year old DS for his eczema, he has 2 a day.
www.zipvit.co.uk/omega-3-fish-oils-1000mg-1232.html

He takes these probiotics - www.amazon.co.uk/Incite-Nutrition-Probiotics-Supplement-Tablets/dp/B00PB6IAIW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1456084152&sr=8-3&keywords=Probiotic

He sleeps in dermasilk pyjamas, and uses aveeno every day.
You can buy the dermasilk clothing on ebay.

Hth.

asblackasyoursoul Fri 26-Feb-16 18:04:24

Hi, I'm actually already taking omega 3 fish oils. I don't think they have improved my eczema, wasn't taking them for that purpose though.
I have tried aveeno and it was even worse than Epaderm.

Thanks for your help though!

Roseformeplease Fri 26-Feb-16 18:42:27

Aveeno us wonderful. Ba dermatologist will tell you to try a few to find what suits. Also, keep moisturising, up to 4 times a day when it is bad.

JsOtherHalf Fri 26-Feb-16 21:27:43

Lush dream cream was very good for DS too, but at around £10 for a tub it would need to be.

The dermasilk pyjamas do make a real difference. He doesn't wear them on sleepovers, and by mid morning of the following day he is scratching.

FreeButtonBee Fri 26-Feb-16 21:45:35

Doublebase dayleve. Has to be the dayleve version. About £11 for a large pump bottle. Miracle worker for dry skin.

You can get it from most pharmacies, although they may have to order it in. You can also get a small tube for about £5 if you want to try it out.

Wolfiefan Fri 26-Feb-16 21:49:26

I'm afraid emollient once a day isn't enough. I have eczema and I apply cream to affected areas as often as I can. At the moment probably 5+ times.

Babinme Wed 23-Mar-16 21:12:26

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now