Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Weaning a baby who's CMPI/A

(20 Posts)
SlapACatFuckADuck Fri 08-Jan-16 21:51:05

Those of you with babies with CMPA what do you give your LO for lunch? He's 7 months on the 17th and i assume should be having one 'proper' meal he currently has 5 7oz bottles and a yoghurt/fruit pouch with his 11:30am and 5:30pm bottle It's the quantity side I think I'm struggling with and because of the milk he won't get his calcium anywere else but only takes 7oz so not sure what to do if I still feed alongside milk or take a bottle out

Any help?

Bonkerz Fri 08-Jan-16 21:59:45

Stick with the basics.
My son was dx CMPI aged 16 days so we've never given him milk.

Weaning was veg and meat and potatoes!
Home cooking is the way to go. Sauces for pasta made from Passata and herb.
Snacks were rice cakes and smart price biscuits as they are generally DF

We still buy fruit pots from baby aisle.

Bonkerz Fri 08-Jan-16 22:02:14

My son was on nutramigen milk and started to refuse it around 7 months too so dietician advised to add vanilla extract and then we added nesquick powder too which isn't ideal but it helps with milk intake.

He moved on to soya milk at 11 months which he still has.

Tesco do a range of DF yoghurts and cheese too which is good

SlapACatFuckADuck Fri 08-Jan-16 22:15:04

bonkerz no idea what passata is but we don't do sauces here unless it's ketchup or beans haha!

At 6 months I was always told with DS1 you replace a meal mainly lunch with food, i guess I'm asking do I do that with DS2?

He's on Neocate, he's not refusing it he loves it!

anotherBadAvatar Fri 08-Jan-16 22:33:40

Have you spoken to a dietician?

Try making meals that you would eat but use pure sunflower spread or oat milk instead of dairy so it's suitable for both of you

Other Lunch ideas:
Hummus on toast/rice cakes
Grated carrot/Apple
Tomato/cucumber slices
Strips of chicken breast
Mashed potato (with oat milk or similar)
Meatballs (made with grated courgette/carrot)
Scooped out jacket potato with beans or tuna
Cashew nut butter and apple slices
Cooked pasta (plain or in tomato/mince beef sauce)
Sardines (mashed up) on toast - vv high in calcium
Cous Cous with grated veg or peas
Omelettes or scrambled egg
Fish fingers
Coconut milk yogurts
Fruit

^ eaten with varying degrees of receptiveness by DD

HTH

SlapACatFuckADuck Sat 09-Jan-16 00:37:06

We don't see the dietician till June sad

I'm not a milk fan so I don't use it in anything but were not allowed to use any other type of milk but neocate

He doesn't have any teeth so couldn't do pasta or anything like that as he cant eat it lol, I don't any nuts, hummus, fish, rice cakes, cous cous and been told not to give egg, fish, nuts anything containing soya or any milks like coconut, goat, almond when we saw the dietician at 4 months blushblush

How do meatballs with courgette work? I don't like courgette but curious lol

It's the issue of should I be removing a bottle for a meal? Iyswim?

Bonkerz Sat 09-Jan-16 08:03:55

Milk is fine for a child up to one so if you don't feel ready to wean then don't.

Maybe introduce snack size portions of one type of fruit or veg at a time Ie pear/Apple cooked and blended. Broccoli/cauliflower etc.

anotherBadAvatar Sat 09-Jan-16 08:03:58

Since you've already seen a dietician and are in the system I would give the department a call for advice, especially if you've been told to give a restrictive diet.

If your 7mo Is having 5 X 7oz = 35oz per day, I would suggest they are getting enough calcium. Ours only advised that calcium drops were needed if taking less than 10oz/day. Start by offering less milk at lunchtime and some finger foods alongside and build up from there. (Confused about you giving yogurts as rbthey are cows milk based???)

Did the dietitian mean to not give those milks (almond, soya etc) as a main source of milk? They have problems of you use them as a main source of milk (almond = not enough calories, rice milk not suitable for under 2s, soya milk contains oestrogens etc). But often you can use those milks in small quantities on cooking so you can make a meal palatable for both of you. Please don't go against his/her advice as obviously they know you though.

As for pasta, they don't need teeth to eat it if it's cooked soft.

Meatballs:
1 small pack turkey mince
1 courgette grated
1 apple grated
Handful breadcrumbs

Bind together by hand, then roll into meatball shapes. Fry in a little oil until cooked through.

Great as a meal with a bit of pasta or rice or as a snack on the go.

There are some great blogs and on line resources out there to help you with meal ideas xx

NerrSnerr Sat 09-Jan-16 08:09:16

My daughter is cmpa and we tend to give her sandwiches (with dairy free spread), pasta and bolognese (she just chomped on the pasta before she had teeth, it did go down), she loves the veggie balls from ikea, she also likes omelettes and boiled egg.

NerrSnerr Sat 09-Jan-16 08:11:40

Sorry, posted too soon. I would ask to see a dietitian again and double check whether she meant not using a replacement milk as an alternative to formula or whether you shouldn't be giving it at all.

Bertieboo1 Sat 09-Jan-16 08:31:03

When we weaned with CMPA we used tons of coconut milk - favourites were chicken satay and coconut milk rice pudding.

SlapACatFuckADuck Sat 09-Jan-16 10:01:49

By yoghurts I mean Aldi strawberry and apple/apple and pear pot things they come in a yoghurt pot so get called yoghurts in our house.

No anything that's likely To cause a reaction is to be avoided so anything with soya in, eggs, nuts, milk Ect is a no-no till he's 1.

I'm more than ready to wean he's been having food since 4 months and he's ready I don't want to overfeed him though. We've been trying to get hold of our dietician for months we can't get hold of her to ask anything

NerrSnerr Sat 09-Jan-16 10:06:01

Our daughter also liked butternut squash and potato. Either puréed or in wedges. She also used to suck on broccoli. She loves Tuna and she had that mixed with vegetables, or tuna and puréed sweetcorn in sandwiches or with potato.

Gotosleep123 Sat 09-Jan-16 10:53:43

Even with no teeth they can still manage pasta as finger food smile

On our second child with CMPA. Lunches usually similar to dinners, we make soups/stews/shepherds pie etc for whole family with low salt stock cubes then whizz portion in blender for baby an put in freezer so then can use for lunches. Rest is seasoned for the grown ups. We give a combination of the mush and finger food.

If we are feeling lazy, a lot of ellas kitchen pouches are dairy free (check the back)

Oat milk is good for cooking

Vitalite or Pure sunflower (careful as they also do soya based one) spread are dairy and soya free, good to use inseam of butter.

Plain new York bagels are dairy and soya free. Spread or humous on top and good for teething babies to chew!

Gotosleep123 Sat 09-Jan-16 10:59:04

Also as others have said, can't go wrong with butternut squash and sweet potato

5minutestobed Sat 09-Jan-16 11:11:27

I would probably just give less milk at lunch time and some finger foods. We used to do toast fingers (dairy free/gluten free bread as most normal bread has soya in it) and pure spread, broccoli,mash potato, tuna pasta.
Ds also loved Ellas kitchen porridge made with neocate for breakfast.

anotherBadAvatar Sat 09-Jan-16 12:45:29

Pretty tricky to over feed a 7mo. They will just eat till they are full and stop.

What sort of reaction does your baby have to cows milk? I thought advice had changed recently that omitting some allergenic food (like eggs etc), could actually increase the risk of allergies later, and that introducing sooner rather than later was beneficial? Obviously this depends on the sort of reaction your baby has. All out anaphylactic shock is probably a no-no!

If you can't get hold of your dietician, your GP will know your medical history to advise you better or re-refer.

From what you're describing, sticking with fruit, veg, meat and cereals/bread is going to be the easiest.

SlapACatFuckADuck Sat 09-Jan-16 14:08:30

He screams non stop explosive nappies, doesn't sleep

GP is more than useless before I took him down A&E and demanded an allergenic formula his advice was to just give him aptamil and if he doesn't shut up hire a babysitter and go out or put him in his cot and leave him till his next feed. He use to scream all the time and sleep for 1 minute periods then wake and scream for 20 minutes I was told I couldn't overfeed him as a baby but he was drinking over 1000mls a day at 5 days old to comfort himself so can be done

NerrSnerr Sat 09-Jan-16 14:12:48

I would ask to see another GP at the surgery or your health visitor. It took us a while to get a referral to a paediatrician and dietitian but with some persistence we did in the end. I would push for a paediatrician referral.

anotherdayanothersquabble Sat 09-Jan-16 19:02:45

This book is worth getting hold of. Written before the BLW revolution but has some good information on the sources of nutrition and how to avoid common allergens and how to substitute and recommends avoiding many things until 9 / 12 months so has some recipes that would work with your restrictions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now