Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Red marks appearing on body for apparently no reason?

(10 Posts)
Swifey Thu 07-Jan-16 12:09:19

They are raised and hot, and go down within an hour. But the main problem is my feet; they get very hot, turn red and get swollen. Whilst this is happening they get extremely sore and crazy itchy? Any ideas, it's driving me nuts, and my dr appointment not for another week. As an aside and don't know if it's linked, but my migraines are coming thick and fast at the moment too, between 3 and 6 a week. My blood pressure is normal, and I'm not on any meds, apart from triptans that I take for my migraines (not working at the moment) and codeine (for stomach pains from a botched endoscopy for endo). Please help.

Swifey Thu 07-Jan-16 12:12:11

Some delightful images! hmm

Loraline Thu 07-Jan-16 12:16:46

Your doctor will be able to tell you more but I went through phases of this, which can last for months or even years. Official diagnosis was chronic idiopathic urticaria - in other words, I had constant hives with no cause.
I'm told something triggered it initially but we'd probably never know and it wasn't relevant anyway as it was self-perpetuating after it started.

I only got this diagnosis after everything else had been ruled out (food, changes to washing powder, environment etc.). Weirdest thing.

I actual have come to suspect it may have been related to the pill - and funny enough I get hormone related migraines too - but have absolutely no proof of that.

Loraline Thu 07-Jan-16 12:17:45

Forgot to say I managed it with a prescription of Telfast but in the short term, Sudocrem was soothing but best solution was to dab with cold water and let air dry (ie get cold). Heat triggered it massively (are your feet in warm woolly socks today?) as did things like red wine.

Seeline Thu 07-Jan-16 12:19:30

It does look as though it could be an allergic reaction. How long has this been going on for?
You can just become allergic to something that you have never had a problem with before. Or maybe one of your regular products has a 'new, improved formula' words which make my heart sink Think shampoo, shower gel, body lotions, washing powder, fabric softner etc. Or it could be a reaction to a food.
Have you tried an over-the-counter antihistamine - that might help with the itching. Ask the pharmacist.
I have had reactions like this in the past. The GP has said that the cause would probably never be discovered, unless it occurred regularly and a link became obvious.

LadyPeterWimsey Thu 07-Jan-16 12:37:12

I had similar symptoms from an allergic reaction - I needed some large doses of Piriton to get rid of it, and I felt quite grim. Mine didn't come and go, though - it was just as I finished a week's course of antibiotics so the GP was pretty sure that was it.

I've reacted to two different antibiotics now, so my notes at the GPs flash warnings when it comes to prescriptions. I can't get DH to remember what I have reacted to, but I hope if I was unconscious in an emergency he would remember to tell the medics. hmm

Swifey Thu 07-Jan-16 16:09:10

Thanks for replying peeps, I do have urticaria pigmentosa, but it has never presented like this, and it's very rare in the places that I am having these new marks.

ppeatfruit Sat 09-Jan-16 13:34:11

Have you thought about allergy to chicken or pork products, DD2 has this and has similar symptoms to yours, or avocado?

IkaBaar Sat 09-Jan-16 20:12:28

Could it be pressure/heat related- particularly thinking about your feet? I sometimes get urticaria from wearing walking boots.

Have you tried antihistamines or even anti itch creams from a pharmacy?

My dd and I both have urticaria it can be really annoying.

ppeatfruit Sun 10-Jan-16 09:56:54

Not thought about what you eat then Ikabaar?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now