Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do eggs count as dairy??

(20 Posts)
LMonkey Mon 20-Jul-15 11:19:17

OK call me stupid. I feel it.. I've decided to have a go at giving up dairy as strongly suspect that my 4.5 month old has silent reflux. SIL's dc had it and giving up dairy worked. Because its so hard to diagnose and gp seems to hardly know anything I just thought I would trust my instincts. Also dd vomited after having just a dribble of formula the other day which reinforced my suspicions.

Anyway, its day 1 today, had a couple of mingling cups of tea with almond milk in it. Got my special bread, margarine and choc in the cupboard. Please can someone tell me, does dairy include eggs? I read somewhere that eggs don't count, then something else contradicted that. I know it probably depends on whether she is allergic to eggs or not as a seperate thing. Maybe I should just cut them out as well then reintroduce in a few weeks to see what happens. It seems better that way than eliminating one food at a time as I know it can take weeks to know results. Any insight anyone?

Also does anyone know some good dairy free websites/recipes as I can't seem to find as many as I thought I would?

Thanks

sleepwhenidie Mon 20-Jul-15 11:21:30

um, you know that eggs come from chickens, not cows? smile

I think just cutting dairy will be hard enough without doing eggs at the same time. So I'd suggest one thing at a time.

sleepwhenidie Mon 20-Jul-15 11:22:17

And take a look at paleo recipes on pinterest, lots of dairy free recipes on there. If you do cut out eggs then look for vegan recipe blogs.

Lindy2 Mon 20-Jul-15 11:25:42

Eggs are not dairy. Normal bread is also usually dairy free too. Why have you got special bread?

vvviola Mon 20-Jul-15 11:26:59

We're dairy and egg free in our house due to DD2's allergies. I spend a lot of time on vegan blogs - I make the recipes and then add meat smile

I do something similar with paleo blogs - make the recipe using one of my egg replacing ideas.

I would suggest just cutting out one at a time because life without dairy and egg can be very hard. And also, you won't know which one of it is causing the problem. It can take up to 4 weeks for all dairy to be out of your/DC system.

vvviola Mon 20-Jul-15 11:29:37

Oh yes, most bread is fine. I have yet to come across a regular sliced pan that has dairy in it.

From a cost/additives/practicality point of view, I try to buy things that are coincidentally dairy/egg free rather than the speciality stuff. Some of the "bake your own" croissants, some frozen pastry, Oreos, certain pies. You just have to spend a bit a long time reading labels in the supermarket to figure out what ingredients are in things.

LMonkey Mon 20-Jul-15 11:39:52

Lol I know I sound stupid. And yes I know eggs are from chickens not cows! Its just that when reading up on it the eggs/dairy thing seems to be quite blurred and people often cut both out together.

Lindy2 I got special bread because when doing my research it seems that there's usually some form of dairy like casein, whey or milk powder in bread and when I checked the packets at the supermarket this was indeed the case.

LMonkey Mon 20-Jul-15 11:42:55

That's weird vvviola, I read about the Oreo thing and when I checked the ingredients there was dairy in them. I was gutted!

vvviola Mon 20-Jul-15 11:43:06

LMonkey what sort of breads were you looking at? A lot of the fancy artisan/soda breads will have dairy in them, but honestly, most standard bread (or french bread) don't. It will take a bit of time for you to figure out all the tricks, but it is quite manageable once you get the hang of it - we're 3 years into it now and I find it quite easy to avoid most of the time without having to spend a fortune in the "free from" aisle!

LetThereBeCupcakes Mon 20-Jul-15 11:43:42

You need to cut one thing out at a time if you suspect intollerance.

Have you spoken to your HV / GP about CMPI, which is different to the more commonly known Lactose intollerance. If you suspect CMPI you can't go for the lactose free stuff, as they still contain the proteins.

CMPI is something that most children grow out of (my DS did), where as I believe lactose intollerance is more likely to be ongoing.

I just did the same cooking but with the dairy free substitutes. Tesco do a very good range of things.

Be careful if the sainsbury's "free from" range - a lot of it is gluten free, but not dairy free.

KumiOri Mon 20-Jul-15 11:45:12

most bread has dairy (milk/whey powder) in it. it makes the bread soft.

vvviola Mon 20-Jul-15 11:45:46

Was it the regular Oreos you checked? The ones with chocolate in the middle have dairy - and the "fake" Oreos have dairy too. Also, where are you - the ones here in Ireland are dairy free, as were the ones in NZ, but oddly the ones in Japan and Belgium (we travel a lot!) weren't.

I was in Wales a couple of weeks ago and the Oreos there were definitely dairy free too because the DC got through the pack I brought on holiday and I went looking for more.

vvviola Mon 20-Jul-15 11:51:56

No, really KumiOri they don't. Some do. But most don't.

e.g. m.tesco.com/h5/groceries/r/www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=256174499

Standard sliced pans are usually fine. It's the fancier types that are trickier.

LMonkey Mon 20-Jul-15 12:49:12

LetThereBeCupcakes I'm due to see HV tomorrow, although not really sure how much they'll know about this? GP was flipping useless. I had in my head that it was more CMPI than LI. Is there a test they can do?!

I'm in the UK vvviola.

With regards to bread maybe it was soya that they contained, which is another one to avoid (so I've heard). I can't remember but there was definitely a reason why I didn't buy the easier option! Sorry my brain has turned to mush since having 2nd DC.

vvviola Mon 20-Jul-15 14:53:32

Ah yes, there is soy in everything!

We were lucky that while DD couldn't tolerate soy formula she was able to have small amounts in other things and now she can eat soy yoghurt occasionally.

If you can try to push for some testing when you speak to your HV you might find you don't have to cut everything out. I'm not sure how it works with intolerances, but allergies can be diagnosed via skin prick tests and blood tests.

It is very hard to exclude dairy, egg and soy, especially when you aren't used to it, so if you can do it step by step it will definitely make things easier.

Oat milk is quite a good substitute on cereal and passable in coffee (I would never sully tea with anything other than real milk, and even now that I'm no long bf I still take my tea black, sometimes with lemon).

LMonkey Mon 20-Jul-15 21:55:50

Thanks for the tips smile

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 21-Jul-15 07:27:55

I wa told there's no test for intollerance - GP recomended we cut out all forms of dairy for three weeks and see what happened, then try a dairy-full day at the end just to prove the theory. By day 5 DS' awful nappy rash had cleared up and on day 20 he slept through the night for the first time (aged 14 months). I refused to do the day of dairy because I knew it would cause him pain. GP referred us to a peadiatric dietician at the same time, so by the time we'd done the 3 weeks the appointment had come through. The dietician was absolutely fantastic - so I'd push for a referral if you can. We were very lucky that the GP we saw was very supportive (although she'd not long had a rollicking from our HV for not believing us when he said he had reflux - so I think she was a bit wary!)

As we were so late being diagnosed, it wasn't long before we were able to gradually start reintroducing dairy again (beginning with bsicuits containing "traces of milk"). He's now 2.6 and has no trouble with dairy at all.

Many children with CMPI are also intollerant to soya - it's to do with their digestive system being able to break down proteins and they just need time to mature. We never had a problem with soya fortunately!

I do think the BFing can help with this, as I was able to introduce dairy in to my own diet very slowly to start with, which then gave DS a tiny bit of dairy in my breast milk. A couple of my friends FF and they found it harder to start reintroducing dairy as they couldn't "water it down" IYSWIM (disclaimer - that comment is based on a grand total of 3 people).

PM me if you want to chat to somebody who's out the other side!

trixymalixy Tue 21-Jul-15 13:58:12

Eggs are not dairy.

It's very unusual to find milk in your standard supermarket loaf. Soya however is a total nightmare to avoid, im glad DS outgrew that allergy!

Oreos have no dairy in, but have a may contain warning iirc.

dairyfreequeen Tue 21-Jul-15 21:03:07

The advice we were given from the dietitian was to avoid soya replacements (milk, yogurt, etc) but flour in bread is fine. When i accidentally ate some pesto with tofu in it ds reacted but seems fine with those levels. He also is allergic to eggs but I would give dairy a few weeks first if i were you

zoemaguire Tue 21-Jul-15 21:07:35

Don't worry it seems a very common misconception! It's silly, as dairy-allergic DD is perfectly able and willing to eat egg, but we've had well-meaning parents cook her special dairy- and egg-free cakes, which was even more of a faff for them than it needed to be! I have no idea why the confusion arises though I must admit. If you saw a load of chicken coops in a field and went 'oh look, a dairy farm', I think most people would look at you a bit oddly grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now