Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lupin - anyone had a child react to lupin?

(5 Posts)
pashmina696 Wed 01-Jul-15 20:35:25

Just wondering as DS1 had a positive skin prick to lupin, and i understand as it is gluten free it is becoming more widely used as a flour alternative and will continue to do so, however as it shares protein with peanuts this could be a big concern for nut allergy sufferers - anyone has any experience with it?

Shineyshoes10 Thu 02-Jul-15 23:01:24

One of my DS's reacts to it. Never had an anaphylactic reaction to it though. He also reacts to peanuts and some other legumes as well other things. We don't find lupin as hard to avoid as some of his other allergies. It's used a lot more in European countries than here (have to be extra careful eating out in some European countries) and in some soaps, creams, make up etc.

neolara Sun 05-Jul-15 23:13:01

We were offered lupin seeds in a restaurant in Portugal. I made sure my peanut allergic dd stayed well clear as I'd heard they were something Europeans are often allergic too. I hadnt realised lupin actually share the same protein as peanuts. Phew - narrow miss!

AtAmber Sun 05-Jul-15 23:18:28

My ds is allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, sesame, lupin and coconut. He's never eaten anything with lupin in. Coconut is a hard one as it's not in the list of main allergens so we have to check the ingredient list of everything we buy.

pashmina696 Tue 07-Jul-15 11:54:43

i think part of the issue with lupin is that it is becoming more common in free from foods - which in my view needs a nut warning! many peanut allergic people are not aware they might react to lupin on first consumption.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now