Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Just wiped ds face with a baby wipe and his face has went bright red

(25 Posts)
Magix Wed 29-Jan-14 17:38:25

Does this sound like an allergy . It was a Johnson's one which I don't normally buy but have used them on his bottom before . His face has went all red and blotchy and a wee bit puffy (but I really mean a wee bit)

MrsFlorrick Wed 29-Jan-14 17:43:05

Yes. It does. Bin wipes immediately and give his face a wash with plain water.
Some wipes contain alcohol as a preservative and that could be the cause as well.

Although puffiness does sound more like an allergic reaction.

sad Poor DS. Hope he feels better soon.

Magix Wed 29-Jan-14 17:54:20

According to boots.com this is the ingredients:

Aqua, Glycerin, Coco-Glucoside, Glyceryl Oleate, Glyceryl Polyacrylate, Carbomer, Lauryl Glucoside, Polyglyceryl-2 Dipolyhydrxystearate, Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, P-Anisic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate, Parfum

Magix Wed 29-Jan-14 17:55:53

Thanks MrsF he seemed ok he wasn't too bothered . I had patted it all down with water right away but it was still all red sad I've had to nip out with dd I'll be home soon see how he is .

eragon Wed 29-Jan-14 18:41:35

sodium benzoate is a well known irritant. causing hives , eczema and asthma from what i have been told.

personally my daughter got redness/hives and eczema when she drinks blackcurrent squash type drinks.

we try to avoid any rubbish like that!

My son used to get eczema from any baby wipe and so I carried clean wet face clothes in plastic zip lock bags and wet cotton wool for nappy changes.

BTW we cant use ANY J&J products due to eczema and red skin, me included in that, full of perfume and colours etc, i wouldnt recommend them as safe for an infants sensitive skin imo.

atthestrokeoftwelve Wed 29-Jan-14 18:57:58

I wouldn't have thought to wipe a baby's face with a wet wipe- aren't they a bit harsh for that?

YoureBeingASillyBilly Wed 29-Jan-14 19:00:15

Baby wipes took permanent marker off my son's skin. I dread to think what is in them and wont use them anymore.

Magix Wed 29-Jan-14 19:18:33

It's not something I make a habit if but I have done it on occasion . I've got an appointment with my HV next week so probably give it a mention see what she thinks .

Brittapie Wed 29-Jan-14 19:25:36

If you wouldn't use a wet wipe, what would you use when you are out? Obviously if you already know about allergies you have to make special arrangements, but don't most parents just carry wipes to wipe everything?

(My two are older now, and I still have a few packs of wipes to hand around the house, including one by the door specifically for a last wipe of face and hands before leaving for school)

YoureBeingASillyBilly Wed 29-Jan-14 19:32:14

I dont carry anything now that youngest is almost 5 and when necessary spit on a tissue or if we are in a cafe/shop i take him to bathroom and wet some toilet roll.

Before i used cloth wipes as i used reuseable nappies and wipes. The wipes i kept in one of those hard plastic huggies boxes (the thin one you got with about 6 wipes in!) and has presoaked them.

MsUumellmahaye Wed 29-Jan-14 19:38:33

my kids and myself all have allergies eczema ect, it may not be a true allergy but wipes are highly irritant and i could never use them on my kids faces or bums. Although they didn't cause the typical allergic reaction they did break them out. i always just used the wet corner of a towel or a flannel for emergency face cleaning smile

Magix Wed 29-Jan-14 19:41:41

He has a little face cloth that I take out with me but I often sometimes forget it so that's when I would use wipes . Usually huggies though as they seem the mildest . And I only really use the face cloth rather than wipes because it's better at cleaning him up he's so messy ! grin

His face is fine now btw I had came home and it looked finesmile

irishe Wed 29-Jan-14 20:00:11

My dd developed a bacterial infection, that started as a slight redness and eventually spread over her vulva. We were prescribed numerous mild steroid creams, which would help but when the cream was finished it would come back with a vengeance. The gp then mentioned allergies, we were unsure as we hadn't changed any products we were using, but the doc explained an allergic reaction could start anytime with products that previously had been fine. So we gradually started removing things, one at a time, first the bubble bath, the shampoo, changed nappy make and lastly the wipes. Within days of switching to cotton pads dipped in water, and ditching the wipes, the redness cleared up and never came back. I couldn't believe it, we had used the same wipes, tescos own brand for a year. Never looked back.

mamalovebird Wed 29-Jan-14 20:04:09

Same happened with my ds with Johnsons wipes. Switched to Huggies and not had any problems since.

scarlettsmummy2 Wed 29-Jan-14 20:09:20

I also had same with Johnson and now use huggies pure. I use them on my own face to take off make up and never had an issue.

UriGeller Wed 29-Jan-14 20:11:19

If he's sensitive to stuff it might be worth getting a little bottle of antihistamine medicine to keep for emergencies.

When theyre little you never know if something might trigger a sensitivity manifesting in itchy red hives or (god forbid) something more serious. You can use it for insect bites and stings.

The generic stuff for babies is called Chlorphenamine Maleate and is a fraction of the cost of Piriton types.

SJisontheway Wed 29-Jan-14 20:15:07

Dd1 had sensitve skin as a baby and couldn't use most wipes. I switched to cotton wool, but also uused to buy the Jackson Reece herbal wipes for out and about which were excellent.
She's 7 now and still in nappies, and I can use pretty much anything on her now, so whatever the reaction was, she has grown out of.

atthestrokeoftwelve Wed 29-Jan-14 21:23:17

brittapie "If you wouldn't use a wet wipe, what would you use when you are out? Obviously if you already know about allergies you have to make special arrangements, but don't most parents just carry wipes to wipe everything?"

easy- carry tissues- I usually have a bottle of water with me too. If I am out in a cafe then there are supplies of tissues, napkins, water etc.
I would never use a wet wipe on my face never mind a baby's. I can't think of anywhere that I couldn't find a way to wipe a face without resorting to a wet wipe.

Far too harsh.

CocktailQueen Wed 29-Jan-14 21:26:16

We used the Boots sensitive baby ones. The Johnson's ones caused reactions like you describe in both my children!! Hate to think what's in them....

naty1 Wed 29-Jan-14 22:15:55

I use huggies pure on any part of her
How old is baby?
I dont like how johnsons or pampers smell or feel etc
Huggies feel like they could be water
I like the fact they dont really smell (as i am allergic to perfume myself)
But dd doesnt have eczema (though i did)
We did use the cotton wool and water for recommended x no of weeks
Any rash on her bum has been because of upset tummy or nappy not the wipes
Each child is so different

undecidedanduncertain Thu 30-Jan-14 08:13:08

DS1 reacted like that to Johnsons wet wipes as a baby. He doesn't have any allergies now at age 6 (but does have coeliac disease, though I don't think that's related!)

I use Water Wipes with my current LO. They're great, seem just like using water on them without the annoyance of cotton wool.

FanjoForTheMammaries Thu 30-Jan-14 08:15:16

Johnsons wipes are harsh. Sensitive wipes like Huggies Pure are far better.

atthestrokeoftwelve Thu 30-Jan-14 13:00:46

Still not something I would use on a baby's face- they are designed for bums not faces.

HUGGIES PURE INGREDIENTS:

Aqua
Potassium Laureth Phosphate
Glycerin
Polysorbate 20
Tetrasodium EDTA
Methylparaben
Malic Acid

Not something I would want on delicate face skin.

FanjoForTheMammaries Thu 30-Jan-14 13:50:03

True. Water is best.

ouryve Thu 30-Jan-14 13:52:39

It'll be the alcohol.

Thankfully, unlike when DS1 was a bay, there's lots of alcohol free wipes to choose from, now. We buy the pampers sensitive in bulk from amazon for well under a pound a packet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now