Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Allergic to earrings 3 months after having a baby

(4 Posts)
ThreeBecameFour Sun 17-Nov-13 16:50:10

Not sure if this would be the right place to ask about this, but does anyone have any experience of becoming allergic to wearing earrings after having a baby? My skin became very sensitive during my second pregnancy and now 3 months after having my son, I am still unable to wear earrings (mainly silver, but gold is also irritating) without my ears feeling itchy, sore and then scabbing over once the earrings have been taken out. This can happen within hours of wearing them or up to 48 hrs after and mainly the right earlobe. Very odd. I am still using Simple face products due to the sensitivity of my skin as well. Has anyone had the earring problem? What can I do to help it? Do I need to ditch wearing earrings completely?

Mynewmoniker Sun 17-Nov-13 18:57:56

Don't ditch the earrings. Paint the posts with clear nail-varnish, let it dry and the metal won't come into contact with your skin!

This is speaking from experience. I also became allergic at one time. I think it's something to do with hormones funnily enough. I don't have a problem nowadays...kids a bit bigger.

MaisyMoo123 Tue 19-Nov-13 22:44:00

I had this for about a year after each of my pregnancies - I could only wear silver as anything else made my ears hot and itchy. I have no problems at all now though and am able to wear pretty much anything in my ears - so don't ditch the earrings just yet!

dairyfreebabyandme Fri 22-Nov-13 09:49:10

If allergic to earrings, it maybe the nickel. Nickel is found in coins, keys, belts, white gold etc. etc. I developed an allergy to nickel after having my ears pierced. I can now only wear surgical steel earrings in my ears, but hopefully you'll be luckier than me and be able to go back to wearing yours as normal!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now