Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Alpro will have nut warning on all soya products

(9 Posts)
harverina Tue 12-Nov-13 13:05:22

I contacted them about the new but warning on their soya cream and they advised that they will be producing soya products in the same factory as but products from 2014. I am so disappointed by this hmm it will really impact dd.

Here is the response -
Dear Emma

Thank you for your recent email to our customer care team regarding nut free soya products. A recent change will mean that soya products will soon be produced in the same factory as the nut milk alternatives.

Alpro are currently preparing all the necessary quality steps to integrate the production of new hazelnut and almond products in its production site in Wevelgem Belgium in 2014 . All possible measures will be implemented to avoid any cross-contamination amongst soya plant-based products. These measures include specific attention for separate flows in relation to the handling of raw materials and manufacturing processes.

We want to inform our consumer with full disclosure so that they can make a conscious choice in purchase. By clearly labeling our soya products (such as soya drinks, soya desserts and soya variations on yogurt and cream alternatives) and rice products with 'may contain traces of almonds/hazelnuts’. Despite the effective implementation date in the course of 2014, please be aware that the packaging will be adapted gradually from now onwards. This to make sure that every consumer is made aware of the change before the actual integration of these products to our production.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to email or call our customer care team on the number below.

Kindest Regards
Charlotte Hunter

Alpro Customer Care

Tel: 0800 0 188 180
www.alpro.com/uk
www.facebook.com/alpro
www.twitter.com/Alpro_UK

harverina Tue 12-Nov-13 14:41:12

Nut! Autocorrect grrrrr!

trixymalixy Sun 17-Nov-13 22:53:33

Oh FFS!!!! Why?!?!? Im really disappointed about this too.

greenbananas Mon 18-Nov-13 10:43:25

It's such a shame! Ds loves the soya puddings, and they are fortified with calcium sad

I will be writing to alpro, but I don't suppose it will make the slightest bit of difference. Their target audience is the vegan market, and it won't be cost effective for them to meet the needs of our allergic children.

It's useful to know that we can still buy old stock for the next few months, and that only the packaging has changed so far.

I wish they could be clear about the level of risk involved... e.g. will the soya be on the same machine or in the same room as the nut products at any point? It seems this might be one of those warnings that is just for insurance purposes.

harverina Tue 19-Nov-13 14:08:28

I have a reply from then again will post it later when I get home. They say that the products will still be suitable for those with but allergies but I am not convinced - it seems to be in the same factory but different line.

trixymalixy Thu 21-Nov-13 21:30:08

This was my reply from Alpro

Thank you for your recent email. We appreciate what a serious issue this is and deeply apologise for the impact this decision will have on both you and your children.

Due to growing demand we’re planning to start producing almond and hazelnut products at our sites in Belgium and the UK from the end of 2014. Although this change in production will only be implemented at the end of 2014, we have already started to change our packaging in anticipation of this. This is to make sure that all of our consumers are aware of the change before it happens.

All possible measures will be put in place to avoid any cross-contamination between nut and soya products (this includes maintaining separate flows for handling raw materials and manufacturing, as well as thorough cleaning procedures).

Once again, we can only reassure you, we are doing everything possible to minimise any potential cross contamination. Please do not hesitate to email or call our customer care team on the number below should you need our assistance in the future.

Sorry Alpro, but saying you are going to minimise cross contamination does not reassure me in any way. You have lost a customer.

dairyfreebabyandme Fri 22-Nov-13 09:46:14

Anyone concerned about this can help try to persuade Alpro to make the necessary changes by joining the Facebook page that has been set up. It's called AlproSOS (Save our soya).

I'm concerned because although we're fine with nuts, my LO will be starting school at some point and many schools are nut free, which means that Alpro milk, yoghurts, custard, desserts and creams will be a no go area, and there isn't much by way of an alternative!

Anyone whose LO goes to a nut free school or nursery might wish to inform them of the changes too!

harverina Fri 22-Nov-13 10:10:47

Trixy I had a similar email hmm

Will go to the Facebook page now.

madge131214 Sat 14-Dec-13 22:02:30

You must be joking !!!
Will that impact the infant soy milk and the yoghurts as well?
6% of UK children have allergies a lot of the allergies are to milk and nuts so soy is the obvious choice.
We should try to do something about this!
If they are planning to have the line operational at the end of 2014 it means that they are only working on it.
they have changed packaging though hummm...
I will write as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now