Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Asthma and drying laundry

(4 Posts)
Teapig Sun 10-Nov-13 17:10:29

DD has a ton of food allergies so although she doesn't have asthma (yet), she's only a baby, she is at higher risk of developing it.

Someone told me I should be careful about drying laundry in case it irritates DD. So I'd like to know what you do if your LO has asthma. Do you tumble dry everything or just make sure the LOs aren't in a room with damp clothes hanging out to dry. Or is actually not really an issue?

KatyMac Sun 10-Nov-13 17:16:02

IMO it's the mould that is an issue

So if your house is well ventilated and well heated drying laundry shouldn't be a problem; but tbh no-one can realistically afford that can they?

Conversely no ventilation & well heated & the air becomes very dry which is also bad for chests

So keep the air not so moist that mould can grow & not so dry that chests are affected pretty hard

IMO

Teapig Thu 14-Nov-13 15:42:43

Thanks katy, that makes sense. Hhhmmm will be a challenge to get the balance right. I think I may just have to tumble dry.

eragon Sun 17-Nov-13 14:40:15

also damp washing is perfect breeding ground for dust mites. dust mite allergy is a common environmental allergy worth testing for esp if has eczema.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now