Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby has cow's milk allergy - just given her a camomile teething rub with lactose in it.

(8 Posts)
Milkhell Sun 03-Nov-13 10:20:06

Shit! What should I do?

Just watch and wait?

Is lactose the same think as cow's milk allergy?

OHforDUCKScake Sun 03-Nov-13 11:16:41

No. Lactose is the sugar in milk. Your baby will have an allergy to the cows milk protein.

My son is anaphylactic to milk but is fine with teething powders. smile

Milkhell Sun 03-Nov-13 11:40:03

Oh thank you!!! Yep DD is anaphylactic to cow's milk too. I was envisioning a trip to A&E with the consultant telling me off.

Thanks again - really appreciate it.

OHforDUCKScake Sun 03-Nov-13 19:29:00

I was you almost 2 years ago, posting the same question having made the same discovery.

When you have seen your baby go into anapylactic shock you are hyper aware and hyper sensitive to everything, as you need to be in my opinion.

I can tell you, as others told me, that things do get easier and you will endure less and less heatt attach situations as she gets older. Mainly when she starts walking.

Good luck. X

OHforDUCKScake Sun 03-Nov-13 19:30:10

*heart attack situations

Milkhell Sun 03-Nov-13 20:56:44

Thank you Ducks xx

freefrommum Mon 04-Nov-13 10:07:14

OhForduckscake is right, lactose should be fine for milk allergy sufferers but a word of warning as there is a possibility that it could be contaminated with milk protein due to the fact that it's derived from milk. We were always advised to avoid medications that contain lactose for this reason, even though the risk is thought to be minimal.

Milkhell Mon 04-Nov-13 14:49:06

Thank you freefrom!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now