Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Allergy test clinic

(7 Posts)
LindaCE Fri 01-Nov-13 21:56:38

Hi, my 2 yr old has got an allergy or intolerance to a few things like tomatoes, blueberries, possibly wheat and dairy and maybe soya too. Haven't managed to figure out all of it yet. The symptom is a rash around her mouth. Taken her to doc but they say it is all normal and as it isn't severe ( no vomiting or diahorrea) they won't refer her for an allergy test. Have decided to take her to a private clinic to have test done as finding it very stressful. Today, even though we've been v careful with the food she has eaten she has got a VERY bad rash. Wondering if someone had similar problem and also if someone can recommend an allergy test clinic in London (pref south east). Thanks!!!

LUKYMUM Sat 02-Nov-13 01:10:38

I'm sorry op. Are you keeping a food diary? Unable to make any recommendations regarding clinics but have you tried cutting back her diet and reintroducing foods one at a time?

glorious Sat 02-Nov-13 14:27:57

We've been referred to St Thomas' (the evalina) which is reputedly very good.

LindaCE Mon 04-Nov-13 09:37:16

Yeah started to keep a proper food diet now. I have always given her very basic and simple food like rice and salmon or mash and mince... All homemade and not much in it, that's why I think it is so bizarre... And w no wheat or dairy and now also cutting soya. The plan was to get her face clear from the rash then re-introduce one thing at the time but wish we could just get a referral and have it tested so we didn't have to play this guessing game any more. So frustrating!! Will check out evalina. Thanks!

freefrommum Mon 04-Nov-13 10:03:14

Just wanted to say that a rash around the mouth after eating acidic fruits like tomatoes, strawberries, blueberries etc is in fact very common in babies and young children (especially those with eczema or sensitive skin) and does not necessarily indicate an allergy unless there are other symptoms eg vomiting, tummy pain, hives elsewhere on the body etc. I would be very reluctant to start removing important foods from your child's diet without any other symptoms. Have you tried applying vaseline around your child's mouth before giving these type of fruits and wiping carefully straight after eating? Why do you suspect wheat, dairy and soya to be causing problems?

mistlethrush Mon 04-Nov-13 10:06:13

Also, the allergy tests don't necessarily show up allergies... I tested negative on the skin prick test to paracetamol, but when given paracetamol in controlled situation, I clearly am allergic to it. I've never been 'tested' about allergy to chocolate - but there's absolutely no doubt that I am.

MigGril Mon 04-Nov-13 10:41:24

We defiantly had this issue with tomato's as Freefrommum say's it's normally just a reaction to acidity in the fruit. Especially if you child maybe had eczema, my two both have mild eczema/sensitive skin. And unless they have other system's or the eczema is all over their body and quit bad then it's probably not an actual allergy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now