Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I need a little help please, breakfast ideas for gluten intolerante adult

(20 Posts)
AdoraBell Wed 09-Oct-13 16:39:15

We live in a country where gluten free flour/bread just doesn't happen. So I'm looking for ideas to feed DH, dinner is covered but I'm struggling to produce a filling breakfast other than eggs and potatoes, which he's had in one form or another almost daily for the past Two weeks. He does eat porridge but again doesn't find it very filling. And his taste in food is very much British.

He hasn't been oficialy diagnosed and isn't likely to pay for a Dr. to tell him what he already knows now that the penny has dropped, iyswim.

Any and all ideas will be gratefuly recieved.

TÍA

JustinBsMum Wed 09-Oct-13 16:52:07

Yoghurt, fruit, kedgeree.

I make my own cereal by mixing porridge oats with nuts and seeds and driedfruit then stirring in some olive oil and honey (not alot, depends how crunchy and sweet you want it) and baking in the oven stirring now and again until lightly browned.

JustinBsMum Wed 09-Oct-13 16:52:52

I chop the nuts first, hazel nuts are v tasty.

AdoraBell Wed 09-Oct-13 23:16:35

Thank you, I'll give that a go.

Pistillate Wed 09-Oct-13 23:18:07

Fried mushrooms with bacon. Yum yum!

Allalonenow Wed 09-Oct-13 23:28:49

Rice pudding with stewed fruit on the side.
Ham, cheese and fresh fruit.
Fried kidneys and sausages.
Fish.

AdoraBell Wed 09-Oct-13 23:46:32

Thanks everyone, lot's of good ideas to trysmile

soapnuts Thu 10-Oct-13 01:18:43

Buy a breadmaker and make your own bread - you may not be able to get the ready mixes where you are but you might be surprised that many flours commonly used all over the world are gf - maise flour, rice flour, chickpea flour, potato flour. We could buy terrible gf bread here but we make our own cos it is a million times cheaper is more tasty. Which part of the world are you on? Might be able to suggest flours you could look for

AdoraBell Thu 10-Oct-13 01:26:13

I can Get all the other flours, hadn't thought of making bread with them though, Doh! I'll give that a Go too, Thank you.

ThePost Thu 10-Oct-13 01:38:46

Buckwheat pancakes.

MiniMonty Thu 10-Oct-13 01:57:35

Try this - it is chemically IMPOSSIBLE for gluten to cause an allergic reaction in a human being.
This is a FACT.

It's very simple biology.
Check it out.
You're being sold a myth - and then snake oil...

AdoraBell Thu 10-Oct-13 02:08:04

So what does cause the reacción then Mini?

puffylovett Thu 10-Oct-13 08:17:35

Lol at minty.
Simple biology meaning all the villi of the gut wall become flattened and unable to absorb nutrients. In an allergic reaction. Fact! hmm

JustinBsMum Fri 11-Oct-13 14:54:30

it is chemically IMPOSSIBLE for gluten to cause an allergic reaction in a human being

Well, is allergic reaction the wrong term then? I have a neighbor with Crohn's disease due to gluten intolerance, I'm pretty sure she isn't imagining that.

AdoraBell Fri 11-Oct-13 22:39:32

I still want to know what causes all the symptoms that people Get when their body reacts to gluten if it isn't gluten, because I'm certain they are not making it up.

It's a genuine question Mini, if you know please come back and let me know, I really am interested.

RawCoconutMacaroon Fri 11-Oct-13 23:04:23

Minimonty is talking through a orifice not usually capable of speech.

Gliadin (a component of wheat gluten) certainly does cause allergic reactions in humans (and many other animals too!). Coeliac is one manifestation of that, but there are many others.
You can have a strong immune response to gliadin and/or other proteins in wheat (and cross react with similar proteins in other grains), without being coeliac - but the answer is the same, whatever the cause - if it's making you ill, stop eating it smile.
The trouble with other grain flours, is not only cross-reactivity to proteins in those grains, but also contamination with wheat and wheat by products,
Oats for example are fine for some people who are wheat sensitive - but only if they are not contaminated with wheat (and most brands are).

Marks Daily Apple is a good blog to start reading for info and recipes - everything is grain free, so you'll get lots of great food ideas which will all be suitable for your DH (and the whole family).

notapizzaeater Sat 12-Oct-13 14:49:00

For a quick hot breakfast I toast potato waffles - one in defrost setting, once on normal and serve with bacon/eggs/cheese.

AdoraBell Sun 13-Oct-13 03:10:30

Thanks RawCoconutMacaroon I'll take a look at that blog.

Notapizzaeater I had a look for potatoe wafles, no joysad, but there is a supermarket that is now importing UK brands so I'll Go there and check now that you've made me salavate, I'd forgotten all about potatoe wafles might just have to buy a waffle irón.

MrsDarylDixon Sun 13-Oct-13 17:44:00

Actually minimonty plenty of plants make themselves irritating when eaten as a defence mechanism.

And wheat has been genetically modified more than any other plant. It's unlikely that the only characteristics that have been changed are the beneficial ones.

And to answer the OP, I like huevos rancheros for brekky. With a gf sausage if I'm hungover!

RawCoconutMacaroon Sun 13-Oct-13 18:40:07

Absolutely, MrsDaryl, and the seeds (ie grains) are where those toxins are concentrated - they don't "want" to be eaten!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now