Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

3 year olds birthday party - I need suggestions for milk/egg/soya free party food!

(20 Posts)
TiredFeet Thu 26-Sep-13 20:09:05

Its my sons third birthday party and I am throwing him a little party for his friends. Normally at parties he has to have different food from the other children, but I really want all the food at his party to be food he can eat.
I am not a great cook and a complete party novice so would love suggestions for easy to make or shop brought party food that would go down well with people. I will do sandwiches and cake and jelly but need a couple more ideas to make it look interesting I think!

DameFanny Thu 26-Sep-13 20:15:02

Jam tarts? Sausage rolls? Plus veg sticks and hummous?

DrSeuss Thu 26-Sep-13 20:15:58

Veggie sticks and hummus

TiredFeet Thu 26-Sep-13 20:18:03

Wouldn't sausage rolls contain dairy? Or are there dairy free ones around?

Linda McCartney sausage rolls are vegan but contain soya [unhelpful]

My DS is allergic to dairy and egg and he can have jus roll puff pastry sheets - probably would be fairly easy to make using these??

I have a nice brownie and flapjack recipe, will find/post it.

Hula hoops, organix crisps, marshmallows, Pom bears ...

Breadsticks are often DF

TiredFeet Thu 26-Sep-13 20:30:55

Hadn't thought of breadsticks! He has only recently been able to eat wheat so they wouldn't have been an option previously.

DameFanny Thu 26-Sep-13 20:30:58

Easy to make yourself - if you can find a dairy-free puff pastry in the chiller cabinet. Jean tarts are easy to - just make a shortcrust with sunflower margarine. Pastry's way easier than people sometimes make it look.

TiredFeet Thu 26-Sep-13 20:33:57

Oh wow that thread looks really helpful! How have I not seen it before?! I guess maybe when ds couldn't have wheat that would have ruled out lots of the options. Thanks!

HugAndRoll Thu 26-Sep-13 20:34:12

This cake is amazing. You don't need to do the glaze:

m.instructables.com/id/The-BEST-chococlate-cake-ever...that-happens-to-be/

I made it for my son's friend who is allergic to egg as most egg free cakes are a pain in the ass and this is simple. The only thing I would say is it sticks in the tin so line it with baking paper.

DameFanny Thu 26-Sep-13 20:35:14

*jam tarts even.

Take a look at www.theintolerantgourmet.com - she cooks without wheat, dairy, soya, eggs or yeast - so your DS would be safe with her recipes. She's also done some videos on videojug, so you can watch her making stuff to see how it's done.

How about smoothies or frozen smoothies, innocent do tubes of them a bit like frubes, planning to freeze some and use them for ds's party. Have made his cake using Sainsbury's cooking marg which I think is milk free. Organix crisps are mainly dairy free.

harverina Fri 27-Sep-13 10:24:24

Asda smart price frozen sausage rolls are milk egg and but free but I am not sure about the soya. They are cheap but tasty and my dd loves them at a party smile

harverina Fri 27-Sep-13 10:26:14

Hugandroll that's the cake that we make - we make little cup cakes with it or a big birthday cake. I haven't found it sticks to the tin. I have one of those cake tins where the sides come off and is never been an issue. It's an amazing cake actually - probably the best vegan cake I have ever tried and the glaze is delicious too grin

HugAndRoll Fri 27-Sep-13 10:43:48

It must have been my tin then grin. It is really tasty though, we're not free anything in my household but I will still make it.

harverina Fri 27-Sep-13 23:28:57

Hi tiredfeet!! Didn't realise it was you! I will check my freezer tomorrow and see if the sausage rolls we have are suitable grin

lem31 Mon 30-Sep-13 15:30:54

Pre made pastry tends to be dairy free - check the ingredients though, but then you can make a variety of pastry based snacks.
Jammy dodgers and party rings don't have dairy, eggs or soya either I believe. Neither do some crisps. Not healthy, but not all party food can be healthy. X

TiredFeet Tue 01-Oct-13 00:11:19

Hi harverina grin

I have been working my way through the thread I was linked to. Found some mini cocktail sausges he can have! We are making progress! Thanks for all the suggestions!

trixymalixy Tue 01-Oct-13 08:58:09

I make those little top hat cakes. I put dairy free chocolate in bottom of cake case, put a marshmallow in on top, blob of choc on top and then stick a skittle on top where you would normally put a smartie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now