Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

What to use as a binding agent - 10 mo with egg allergy

(12 Posts)
Passmethecrisps Sun 22-Sep-13 08:00:02

Quick and possibly daft question.

I would like to make my wee one some meatballs but all the recipes I can find require egg as a binding agent.

LO's egg allergy is mild as far as these things go and she has had cake with no reaction.

She also has CMPI.

Any advice is most welcome

MousyMouse Sun 22-Sep-13 08:08:41

I chop an onion with a slice of bread in the food processor, sometimes use a little cheese. then mix well with the mince.

MousyMouse Sun 22-Sep-13 08:09:44

ok just read about the cmp. you can just leave out cheese. my family likes it as a flavour...

Passmethecrisps Sun 22-Sep-13 08:20:03

Thanks mousy. I have a kg of pork and beef mince to use today so I had better get whizzing!

Xanthan gum is often used as a binding agent and although I have only tried it in cakes, I don't see that it would be a problem in other things.

I make burgers and meatballs without egg as I am intolerant to egg white. They are a little crumbly sometimes but it's no big deal- they still taste ok!

Passmethecrisps Sun 22-Sep-13 08:26:28

I do have some xanthan gum actually but I can't work out he to use it. I shall investigate. But as you say, married if they are just a bit crumbly then there is no issue

I use about a teaspoon in a cake. Maybe put half a teaspoon in with your mince and seasoning etc and see how you get on?

Passmethecrisps Sun 22-Sep-13 11:16:18

Did that. Seemed to work ok. We shall see at lunchtime when she gets them!

Did they turn out ok?

Passmethecrisps Sun 22-Sep-13 20:12:32

Well, they seemed ok. She refused to eat them though . . . Always does when I make something new!!

I tried them and they were fine.

peachesandpickles Sun 22-Sep-13 20:16:38

My dd was allergic to egg.

I always made burgers/meatballs without it and they are fine.

I experimented a lot with things such as egg replacer. I used to make home made chicken goujons with this to dip in instead of egg

egg replacer

Maybe a little of it could be used in meatballs.

babybarrister Sun 22-Sep-13 20:43:02

Never used egg in meatballs - fine without!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now