Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

CMPA DC's do you give Calcium supplements?

(11 Posts)
MrsWhirling Sat 14-Sep-13 18:00:06

Or any other vitamin drops?

My DS IS 9mths & I have been told by the dietician to give him Osteocare liquid Calcium.

SummerRain Sat 14-Sep-13 20:25:46

I was told to give dd vitamin drops but never did tbh. She was able to have goats milk though so I never worried about calcium.

Some foods are either naturally high in calcium or fortified and imo it's better to give food sources than rely on supplements as the body can usually absorb them better.

How is she fed? Bm or formula will be providing enough calcium at that age even without any additional calcium sources.

MrsWhirling Sat 14-Sep-13 21:17:01

He's breastfed but I go back to work 2 wks before he's 1yrs. Not sure what he'll have once go back in terms of milk but he's a good eater & I give him a wide range of foods.

SummerRain Sat 14-Sep-13 21:23:00

He'll need formula during the day at this age. Have you been getting him used to a bottle during the day?

greenbananas Sun 15-Sep-13 12:16:58

He won't necessarily need formula during the day. Lots of breastfed babies over 12 months old go all day without breastmilk quite happily, and make up for it with bumper feeds morning and night. Even if you do choose to give him formula, he can have it from a sippy cup at this age, so you don't need to be worrying about bottles.

I have got vitamin drops for DS1, but always forget to give them to him. It's better to get calcium and other nutrients into them with food and breastmilk, although I suppose the supplements are a good insurance.

If you continue to breastfeed, you won't need to worry about calcium for a long time yet. There is plenty of calcium in breastmilk, and it is in a form which is very easily absorbed by babies.

greenbananas Sun 15-Sep-13 12:18:26

(sorry, just realised I posted on your other thread about breastmilk and childcare during the day!)

babybarrister Mon 16-Sep-13 21:41:13

Yes I do give calcium

freefrommum Tue 17-Sep-13 16:01:08

Yes DS was prescribed Calicum Sandoz medicine by dietician but there have been manufacturing problems with this product for some time now so I've had to buy Osteocare liquid over the counter instead. Beware of vitamin drops as some contain arachis oil from peanuts so not advisable for those with peanut allergy (although the risk is supposedly very small due to refinement process, I personally won't risk it).

I never did. She took the same vits as dd2 when she turned 2 bit no one ever said about taking supplements. I assumed that the formula and milk subs covered that.

But she was intolerant not allergic if that makes the difference

HoopHopes Tue 17-Sep-13 22:18:50

I do. As the Sandoz is not being made available am having to use cacit which I dissolve in water and syringe in!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now