Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

CMPA & short length?

(10 Posts)
MrsWhirling Sun 08-Sep-13 09:12:21

Does anyone know if there is any truth in CMPA babies being short in length?

I was told this by a friends neighbour last night. It's the first I've heard of it but she insisted it was true.

DS has CMPA & Egg allergy. Currently 9mths and only on 9th centile for length. On 50th for weight & otherwise well.

greenbananas Sun 08-Sep-13 11:31:49

Well, there's some evidence that children with allergies might have growth problems because of poor nutritional intake - see for example this

But I wouldn't worry about it too much. You are making sure your little one gets a balanced diet.

I used to be concerned about my multiply allergic DS being so scrawny until I saw a picture of DH at the same age (so skinny his knees were sticking out). DH is not a tall man, but he has sufficient muscle on him now! Children come in different shapes and sizes. My friend's fully breastfed baby was short and unbelievably chubby at 6-12 months - she had three rolls of fat on each little thigh grin - but she is slim and active now at 3 years old.

Loads of people tell you "facts" when they discover your child has allergies. Sometimes it's rubbish, sometimes it isn't. Seriously, don't worry!!

MrsWhirling Sun 08-Sep-13 15:27:00

Thanks Greenbananas,

My DS wasn't diagnosed until he was 7mths so I wasn't DF until then either. I'm hoping that BF'ing has helped him to get what he needed. Xx

babybarrister Sun 08-Sep-13 21:46:21

I think it depends on what they are fed - DS short but then so are we!!

babybarrister Sun 08-Sep-13 21:47:55

Ps DS was v large baby - on 90 centile or something ....

melonribena Sun 08-Sep-13 22:01:21

My 13 mth cmpa and egg allergic ds is v long! He's 75th-90 centile for weight and 90 for height.

He's breastfed. Does that make a difference?

ChocolateOrangeforDd Sun 08-Sep-13 22:01:45

Hi. My Ds is allergic to dairy, eggs and avoids nuts. When he was born he was a long baby. He is now nearly 5 feet 10 inches tall, his goal height. He is the tallest in our family and taller than Dh and he towers over me at only 5 feet 3 inches. When he was younger his height was monitored because he also has asthma and was being given a fairly high dose preventative steroid puffer. He has not had any dairy or calcium supplements, but did like Tropicana Calcium Orange juice when he was younger. I am thrilled for my tall son! So, I wouldn't worry yet, MrsWhirling.

babybarrister Mon 09-Sep-13 13:34:44

Good to hear our allergic dc can grow up tall!

MiaowTheCat Mon 09-Sep-13 16:00:58

Um. Dd2 98th centile when born (the words "blimey she's long" were used as she appeared) and now is such a bloody gangly triffid she's in 9-12 month clothes at 5 1/2 months!

Her dad is 6 foot 7 though and her sister is tall too.

Bonkerz Mon 09-Sep-13 16:03:11

Ds was diagnosed CMPI at 16 days old..... He is now 28 months and has no issues with height or weight! All above 75th centile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now