Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

does anyone else have intolerance/allergy problem with cheap chocolate and other junk..... and also alcohol.....:(

(5 Posts)
goonIcantakeit Tue 30-Jul-13 16:11:19

I already have to manage perennial allergic rhinitis so could do without things that exacerbate it.

Symptoms are as follows for cheap chocolate/other crap

1. I break out into a sweat - this is particularly bad if I eat, say, a slice or two of cheap birthday cake, even if homemade. Rich tea biscuits/crackers are fine.
2. My ears start getting poppy. Today they were already poppy after an infection so they actually got pressured and blocked after the M&S choccy - horrible, and makes me feel panicky.

Symptoms are as follows for alcohol. If I drink alcohol, I start to cough. If I drink red wine, my nose blocks up almost immediately. I do have a dry throat generally after a bad infection I ignored in my twenties - maybe that isn't an intolerance but an irritation/drying out of the throat. But the blocked nose thing seems pretty clear.

The reactions are definitely less bad after Green&Blacks chocolate but I don't know why unless it is something to do with it being organic (but what would it be?)

I asked once before and people said ~"sweating - yikes - go to GP - might be diabetes" but that was ruled out.

looseleaf Tue 30-Jul-13 17:57:23

How mysterious -and annoying for you no doubt. I think this is one of those things you'd either have to look v carefully with the chocolate to see if the cheaper choc has other ingredients eg typically veg oils that the better quality one doesn't. Otherwise I wonder whether it could be say fertiliser used you could be sensitive to but I guess it's just a case of detective work and having to be careful if you know there's a problem with certain things...
Sorry not more help but I empathise as took a lot of frustration to work out what was causing problems here though not similar ones

OHforDUCKScake Tue 30-Jul-13 19:55:11

Are you ok with cows milk?

If you drank a glass of it, do you have no reaction?

goonIcantakeit Tue 30-Jul-13 20:36:04

thanks for replying, I appreciate it!

Ducks - I have milk with my cereal each morning and feel pretty good after that.

Once I was in France and had a local red wine that I could drink 3 glasses of - needless to say, I'm going back to that region for hols this year!

chocolate and alcohol... .honestly, of all things! why couldn't it be broccoli?

eragon Fri 02-Aug-13 00:24:02

are you asthmatic?

different wines have different food traces in them, for instance wine from ports, may have fish oil in the cork and is of course a problem for those with a fish allergy.

preservatives and other additives are often in wines. so i understand the wine thing.

Also can be a high histamine in red wine and strong cheese such as stilton.

have you ever had any other issues? red skin flushing? hives etc?

have you ok with all nuts ? because all the food you mention apart from mcvities rich tea biscuits has a nut trace warning. (just a thought!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now