Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can a sore throat be a symptom of hayfever/rhinitis ?

(3 Posts)
seoda24 Wed 17-Jul-13 11:21:57

As a hayfever , sinus and general allergy sufferer I would agree/ I think I get a sore throat when my nose is blocked and I breathe through mouth only.Very annoying.My nasal spray sometimes gives me a dry throat feeling.Get it checked if it persists to be on safe side.X

hotair Tue 16-Jul-13 15:59:31

yes, it's one of my main hayfever symptoms! very common

scampidoodle Tue 16-Jul-13 15:56:52

I've had rhinitis for around 10 years, all year round (no worse in the summer) controlled by a steroid nasal spray. The symptoms I had when it was diagnosed were a runny nose, feeling bunged up and sneezing and feeling tired and lethargic, for months. These symptoms start come back if for some reason I don't use the spray for a few days.

Two weeks ago I was coming down with a cold and very sore throat. Since then the cold has gone but my throat feels dry and swollen rather than sore and I have a dry cough. My eyes are starting to feel dry and puffy too.

If this could be related to the rhinitis, can anyone recommend anything to help please? I'm assuming cold/sore throat remedies aren't going to help much (I've tried a sore throat spray but I think that brings on the dry cough)

Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now