Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Advice on reintroducing dairy

(6 Posts)
northerngoldilocks Sun 09-Jun-13 14:29:14

DD is 14 weeks and EBF. She has reflux and is on medication for this. I've tried going dairy and soy free to see if it makes a difference to the reflux. She has been better but not 'cured'.

I'm keen to check whether its my cutting out dairy / soy that's made a difference or if its the medication. I thought I might start with reintroducing butter in baked goods rather than just going straight for milk. Does anyone know if this is my best bet.

Also how long should I try each thing for? Ie should I stop avoiding butter in baking for a week maybe and if no change add back something else (eg soy )?

Any advice gratefully received

almostamrs Mon 10-Jun-13 21:10:31

ive got an 14 day plan from our dietician to try every 3 months for my 1 yr old, if a reaction occurs revert back to the day before

1 = 1/2 malted milk biscuit
2= 1 malted milk biscuit
3= small piece of baked product containing milk
4= larger piece of baked product
5= toast and butter
6= baked cheese product
7 to 14 = 30ml cows milk a day to be increased each day by 30ml

hope it helps, we got to day 3 before a reaction. top tip is to use bepanthen with every nappy change during the trial as ds had awful diarrhoea and a terrible rash from it

northerngoldilocks Mon 10-Jun-13 21:40:06

Thanks, that's really helpful

RaeOfLight Fri 14-Jun-13 11:29:23

Hi. This was helpful for me too. When you say "if a reaction occurs" do you mean any reaction at all? Or a serious one? For example if my daughters chin went very slightly blotchy does that count as a reaction? And therefore go back a step?

almostamrs Fri 14-Jun-13 13:22:48

I think its a severe one. we stopped as he started with very bad diarrhoea and sickness which is what diagnosed his intolerance. if its a small rash but otherwise fine in my opinion id stay one that same day for 3 or 4 days n if no worse try the next stage

RaeOfLight Thu 20-Jun-13 18:30:16

Thanks very much. Had advice from her consultant but as usual very vague!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now