Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Wheat intolerance- how do you react?

(14 Posts)
looseleaf Thu 09-May-13 12:14:36

I agree Nicky2512. seems cruel almost to go back onto wheat for a biopsy. And well done your DD not minding- ours found it a relief too and never envies other people's chocolate cake or anything - even when she was 3.

Smudging I was reduced to 'coping' and just getting through each day having always had tons of energy. I wouldn't say I'm what I used to be though as having been a long distance runner I find walking even short distances now tire me in an odd way. Like you I've now found out other relatives similar- a great aunt and 2 first cousins have stopped eating wheat.

Smudging Wed 08-May-13 23:01:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nicky2512 Wed 08-May-13 22:43:53

Yes, I would like to know exactly what the problem is but even the gastroenterologist that she attends was reluctant to do biopsy at the minute since it would mean her going back to eating wheat/gluten. She is so much healthier now that it doesnt seem fair. Also she is very happy with her diet. She knows that she feels better and rarely complains about missing out on anything.

looseleaf Wed 08-May-13 22:30:13

Thanks Nicky2512. I hope your DD gets some answers though the main thing I guess is knowing to avoid wheat. I refused the biopsy for us as we'd be unable to eat wheat regardless of the results- I can't tolerate even a few breadcrumbs while DD (who had chronic pain with wheat) now in fact a bit better

looseleaf Wed 08-May-13 22:26:35

Smudging I could have written that myself - exactly like me apart from no achy joints here. i don't know anyone who's similar (though DD can't have wheat either). Finding the cause of my dramatic tiredness is such a relief as like you I thought I had some ME type thing for ages and was upset by it but tried to be as normal as I could. I still get brain fog but that might be tiredness from broken nights.
I don't understand what causes it and whether it's an immune thing? Doctors haven't helped and nothing comes up with either of us with the allergy tests.

Also i wonder why does it start 'randomly ' as I are wheat fine for about 30 years!

Sommink Wed 08-May-13 22:26:19

I get bloated, really tired and my eczema flares up badly guilty looks at pizza box

Smudging Wed 08-May-13 22:14:03

nicky2512 Wed 08-May-13 22:10:44

dd (11) has been wheat and gluten free since last summer. She would habe been very tired, always pale with dark circles round eyes. She would bloat when eating and often had a sore tummy. She is being checked for coeliac and crohns but is much better on a wheat free diet. Hope it helps you.

looseleaf Wed 08-May-13 22:03:12

Notapizzaeater our DD was just like this too- 2 years of diarrhoea and me in years at the GP until finally a private doctor suggested giving up wheat and she improved dramatically.
She seems to be outgrowing it v slightly though as no diarrhoea now if accidentally exposed to wheat

It makes me fart. Every couple of minutes, all day long. blush Also gives me belly ache (wonder why) & constipation. Sorry, TMI. But you asked!

I don't eat wheat much these days...

notapizzaeater Wed 08-May-13 21:50:03

My son is coeliac -and if he has wheat (gluten) then he has horrific diahorrea within 2 hours, he looks pregnant or a couple of days and hes tired and irritable for about 2 weeks.

looseleaf Wed 08-May-13 21:49:50

Ps I meant I'm certain not just from this weekend but from many attempts to eat wheat eg to not appear difficult at friends' houses. But I just can't as it's not worth it and too difficult when I have young DS to look after

looseleaf Wed 08-May-13 21:47:50

I had infertility / low fertility until changed my diet but the only other thing I've noticed with whether or not I eat wheat is extreme extreme tiredness I can't shake off.

Is this typical? I'm almost 100% certain it's the wheat as had a small amount at the weekend and it takes me 3 days to shake off.

I saw GP last week to rule out endi-whatever it's called ie problem with insulin but he didn't test for it he thought it so unlikely. So just wonder how others react to wheat please!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now