Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

sulphites?

(2 Posts)
piggyboo Tue 07-May-13 09:57:52

DS has had mild eczema since he was 3 months old, we started weaning at 25 weeks and it got much worse especially on his face. 3 weeks ago we saw the dermatologist and he has taken blood to test for the top 6 allergens. He also recommended keeping a food diary and starting weaning again but more slowly, 1 food at a time.

After introducing cows milk twice he got a red rash on his face neck and chest both times, so i concluded he has a milk allergy. Since then he has had a similar reaction to jarred apple puree, jarred pear puree, coconut milk (contains grape juice), organix biscuits, soreen banana loaf, jarred chicken and veg casserole. He was however fine with homemade equivalents. last evening i have googled grape allergy and come across sulphite sensitivity. All of the foods he has reacted to have been processed and most contain concentrated grape juice, concentrated lemon juice, raisins. All of which are high in sulphites. I am also wondering if he is truly cmpa as he had jarred apple puree on the same day which i thought was fine as he hadn't reacted to homemade.

does anyone have any experience?, how concerned should i be? he has had some swelling of eyes after strawberry jam and possibly some mild wheezing.

We should hopefully get blood test results this week for top 6 allergens but i don't think there is a test for sulphites, if the bloods are normal how do i get a doc to take me seriously?

SavoyCabbage Tue 07-May-13 10:38:08

My dd's best friend is allergic to sulphates. 220-228 if I remember correctly. I know she took a while to get her diagnosis, she was 7or8 and they thought it was something else for a while, artificial sweetener I think. She's anaphylactic to sulphates now.

I giver her organic sausages and organic pasta sauce etc when she comes here. I don't think it's that difficult to manage compared with a lot of allergies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now