Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Could someone with a food allergy describe what an allergic reaction feels like?

(5 Posts)
trixymalixy Mon 06-May-13 00:40:08

My DS won't eat any spicy food as he says it makes his mouth feel funny, so I've always assumed an allergic reaction feels a bit like eating spicy food. DD was complaining there was "too much ginger" in the non ginger biscuits that contained egg which she's allergic too.

I'm just curious, is that how it feels?

RubyrooUK Mon 06-May-13 00:53:53

I have a serious food allergy (luckily
to something it is pretty easy to avoid most of the time). It tends to immediately make me feel dizzy and sick, then I often vomit and my throat feels like it is closing up and I struggle for breath, which is very alarming. My mouth starts to swell up too and anywhere that the food has touched becomes inflamed. It feels a bit like I am shutting down.

That is an allergy for me and it gets worse every time I am exposed to the food. Which, luckily for me, is not often.

MegMogAndOwl Mon 06-May-13 06:54:52

I have mild allergic reactions to some seeds and your ds's description is quite similar to how I'd describe it. I get a tingly and sort of itchy feeling on my lips and tongue.

I've noticed I'm getting it with Nutella now too so I'm guessing I'm reacting to hazelnuts too.

notapizzaeater Mon 06-May-13 18:41:27

I get an itchy tongue with some fish

Takver Mon 06-May-13 18:51:02

Yes, I also get that mildly itchy, tingly, slightly swollen sensation from some nuts that I'm not really allergic to.

I have a more serious allergy to chestnuts - fortunately years since I've run into them (fingers crossed) then I get a much more severe 'swollen' sensation, a sort of 'out of body' feeling which is hard to explain, but I get it whenever I have a serious reaction to anything, violent stomach cramps and vomiting.

I think the 'out of body' feeling is something that is relatively common, and it is hard to pin down but helpful to realise, because for me at least it is the first indication of something wrong. I think it is the first sign of plummeting blood pressure, perhaps?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now