Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Allergy to suncream

(15 Posts)
valiumredhead Mon 20-May-13 09:37:33

Incidently we used Soltan from Boots - never used it again! We know use Ambre Solaire for sensitive skin or Banana Boat. We test anything new on the inside of his elbow before using.

loopydoo Sun 19-May-13 23:57:09

Someone on here a year or so ago Sid that there can be peanut oil in some suncreams!!
With his symptoms, I'm surprised they won't allergy test him.
Could you get a private one?

I allergic to almost every suncream but the worst place I react is my hands...it tricky to out it on myself and the children! I tend to stay out of hot sun and just stay covered if I do.

eragon Sun 19-May-13 23:52:33

there is lots of food in sun creams, make up and bath/shower products.

keep a note of the ingredient label.

I would be careful if you get clear wheezing with facial swelling.
more than antihistamine may be needed.

ask for a refferal to an immunologist. imo

jitterbug85 Sun 19-May-13 23:05:41

Interesting point valiumredhead hadn't thought of that. Was only thinking the other week it's probably about time I try him with nuts. As I don't eat or cook with them they are never in the house so doubt he would have had a true exposure to them. I'll bear that in mind thanks.

Yamyoid Sun 19-May-13 20:16:59

My ds doesn't have such a dramatic reaction as others here but I thought it was the waterproof stuff that was worse for him. Or the ones that claim to be extra durable.
Thanks for the link to the mineral one, very useful.

valiumredhead Sun 19-May-13 20:10:28

Are you sure it's suncream he's allergic too. I ask because for 2 years we thought ds was allergic to suncream but in fact he was allergic to nuts and was reacting to almond oil in the sun cream.

RedBushedT Wed 08-May-13 21:39:24

I use the boots baby one too. DD is 8... but it's the only one that doesn't cause her to have a massive flare up. it does not rub in at all well as it's really thick but worth the effort smile

SimLondon Wed 08-May-13 21:36:22

Think this is what triggered dd's awful flare-up last week - but not certain. Just in case im going to stop using nivea kids sensitive and try Neutrogena Pure and Free Baby Sunblock after reading this
http://doctorallergy.wordpress.com/category/eczemaatopic-dermatitis/

BlueBumedFly Wed 08-May-13 20:57:47

My DD can only use Proderm mousse, it is fab, easy to absorb and smells great, not greasy and thick like some. They now sell in Boots.

jitterbug85 Tue 07-May-13 23:12:47

Thanks blueberry I'll check out the mineral blocks.

I'm fairly certain nothing else caused the reaction. It happened when he was at nursery and I provide all his food and they wear gloves when applying suncream changing them between each child.

Taking him to see a different GP for a second opinion this week.

Thanks for your help.

We used a mineral sunblock on DD who swells with almost all of the ones we have tried. Jasons is fantastic.

WhereMyMilk Tue 07-May-13 18:25:16

We have the same issue with DD. look on the eczema society website. We use something they recommended-the suncream mousse. Had to buy it on line.

Must admit we don't use loads though-& she can't tolerate anything on her face-she wears the sunscreen swim suit tops a lot. Baggy tshirts, longer skirts/shorts and wide brimmed hats seem to do the job for us.

Also-this will sound strange, but DD eats a lot (& I mean a lot!) of tomatoes, which I have read give you a certain amount of inner protection as it were. Even on days without cream she has never burnt-& the sun also seems to help her skin (in small doses obviously)

Good luck with it,x

piggyboo Tue 07-May-13 18:15:16

Are you definitely sure its the cream he is reacting too? could it be hayfever/ food allergy or something else? i've not heard of suncream causing swelling of the mouth. dd reacts with rash and runny nose. we use sudocrem 50+ kids mousse for dd and also for ds who has bad eczema, have had no problems with it so far.

LittleMissLucy Sun 05-May-13 00:54:53

The only suncream that my son can use now (he is 6) after having severe eczema reactions from babyhood onwards is Boots Soltan baby 50+
We have a bottle left that we bought in England 4 yrs ago now (we don't live in the UK) and are hoping there is still some available when we go back this year.

Its thick and white and unwieldy but it never hurts him and it keeps him from burning.

You could test a small area on his arm maybe?

I would also recommend a big brimmed hat and loose t-shirts with long sleeves to keep off the sun if this cream is a no no.

jitterbug85 Sun 05-May-13 00:08:41

Hi hoping for some friendly advice.
My son now 3 has always struggled with sensitive skin and eczema on his face and upper trunk. Over the last 18m I have managed to really get it under control and only been using epaderm once a day to maintain and cut out all foaming and perfumed products.
Last year I had a nightmare finding suncream which didn't make his eczema flare and tried all sorts finally settling on banana boat powder dri and green people organic. This year i have tried to use the same brands and he has reacted badly to them. Rash spread throughout his upper body swollen red eyes, ears, nose and mouth. Sounded wheezy which cleared after giving him antihistamine.
4 days since the reaction his face is still very rashy and swelling visible. Been giving antihistamines twice a day since happened.
I phoned the GP to be advised that they do not test for suncream allergy as it can be managed at home by just not using anything at all and making sure they are covered up if we go outside and not to go outside during peak times.
This doesn't sound right to me and I am concerned giving the wheezing and amount of swelling that he could come into contact with his allergen in another guise and have an even worse reaction that might land him in hospital.
What do you think? Is testing something I can push for? Is it realistic to say that don't bother using suncream on a 3 year old child given the later risk of skin cancers?! confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now