Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any dairy free/soya free bakers?

(185 Posts)
Dorisday13 Sat 04-May-13 15:12:30

What's the best alternative for baking? Oat milk? Rice milk? I'm trying to make savory muffins :-) x

Beesandbutterflies Thu 10-Oct-13 07:39:14

Thanks trixy, was hoping not to have to make it myself, I'm just very lazy! I think that might be the way forward though, thanks!

trixymalixy Wed 09-Oct-13 22:44:46

I just add red green and black gel colours to fondant. Either that or add cocoa powder which is dairy free.

Beesandbutterflies Wed 09-Oct-13 21:55:14

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help me,

I'm looking for brown sugar paste (I keep finding chocolate ones with milk in) for my dd 1st birthday cake :-)

Many thanks
X

Beesandbutterflies Wed 09-Oct-13 21:53:56

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help me,

I'm looking for brown sugar paste (I keep finding chocolate ones with milk in) for my dd 1st birthday cake :-)

Many thanks
X

Hensinthehedgerow Thu 22-Aug-13 09:50:48

Has anyone tried to make a quiche?

Dorisday13 Fri 28-Jun-13 14:53:34

Do you think it is possible to freeze or store open those pea protein yogurt pots????? X

CouthyMow Wed 12-Jun-13 22:32:03

I didn't see the rice cheese people either - and I went round EVERY stall. I don't think they were there on Saturday tbh.

Will try tomorrow evening, if I can find muslin cloth in my supermarket. Would baby ones do?!

janey223 Wed 12-Jun-13 20:20:02

Ohhh couthy I need to try this! Monkey couldn't even find a cheese at the show hmm although apparently the rice cheese people were there on a different stall and I missed them.

CouthyMow Wed 12-Jun-13 14:44:03

As in Koko - what used to be Karo coconut milk.

CouthyMow Wed 12-Jun-13 14:43:33

As in the milk alternative. Haven't tried it yet - probably tomorrow as I had the seventh circle of hell toddler group today for DS3, and have hydrotherapy after school for DS2...

Dorisday13 Wed 12-Jun-13 14:40:26

Exciting couthy! Have you tried it yet? Coconut milk as in the milk alternative or the tin of? X

CouthyMow Tue 11-Jun-13 16:19:17

On the way home from the allergy show, I got chatting to the man opposite me on the train.

He gave me a recipe for dairy free cheese, similar to mozzarella. His DS can have soy, so he uses soy milk, but when I get 10 minutes (and have some blooming lemon juice), I'm going to give it a try.

Boil soy milk (or coconut milk). Just as it starts to boil, squeeze in some lemon juice. It should start to look all lumpy.

Then strain it through a muslin cloth. Apparently it's just like mozzarella. So I'm going to give it a try!

MrsAVB Tue 11-Jun-13 14:37:21

But means that vitalite is much better on toast/ jacket potatoes/ anything where you want it to melt! X

Dorisday13 Fri 07-Jun-13 15:57:49

Yes I agree and melts on a warm cake/warm day!

janey223 Fri 07-Jun-13 11:47:37

Vitalite is nice but doesn't really 'set'

Dorisday13 Fri 07-Jun-13 08:27:33

smile Thanks, I agree with the adding lots of vanilla, I quite like the taste of vitalite though maybe I'm just very weird!

Mitzyme Thu 06-Jun-13 20:15:55

This is the most amazingly helpful thread ever. Thanks everyone.

CouthyMow Thu 06-Jun-13 17:21:07

Don't use block stork for buttercream - it's FOUL. And lumpy. No matter what you do!

(Tried three times! It really IS rank...)

janey223 Thu 06-Jun-13 10:21:10

I done half pure half vitalite and a glut of vanilla, it's slightly lumpy as DS kept putting the icing sugar in before I could sieve it hmm but its ok, he definitely liked it! I used to love pure but I've got sick of it and its non taste!

MrsAVB Thu 06-Jun-13 09:42:33

Well done with the wot no dairy doris
janey have tried buttercream with pure and vitalite and neither is quite right. Not tried stork. What I normally do is make sure it's flavoured heavily... like dark chocolate or lots of vanilla essence, then you can use pure which tastes worse but sets better.
X

janey223 Thu 06-Jun-13 09:16:06

Making a cake now! It's in the oven but I can't decide what combo to use for buttercream couldn't get Trex but have pure, vitalite and stork block!

Thinking half vitalite half pure, pure has such a nothing taste but sets better than vitalite

Dorisday13 Wed 05-Jun-13 19:37:19

Wot no dairy pot went down wellsmile

janey223 Fri 31-May-13 08:19:59

No rice milk is fine in small amounts so I think it's ok x

Dorisday13 Fri 31-May-13 08:05:06

Do you think like rice milk they'll be banned for under 5s?

janey223 Thu 30-May-13 23:33:39

Yes it's fresh and needs to be in the fridge!

Rice cheese here shopmozzarisella.co.uk/
Can get it in independent hf shops too, think goodness direct sell rice cheese/desserts too.

Tesco value celebration cake (plain and chocolate) is df/sf but with nut warning, haven't tried it as I normally make my own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now