Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any dairy free/soya free bakers?

(185 Posts)
Dorisday13 Sat 04-May-13 15:12:30

What's the best alternative for baking? Oat milk? Rice milk? I'm trying to make savory muffins :-) x

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Fri 10-May-13 14:44:48

It's not a Betty Crocker one, it's a Tesco own one.

I can't remember if Betty Crocker had traces of nuts, dairy or soy, but it was one of them!

harverina Fri 10-May-13 14:48:59

Betty Crocker "may contain milk" so we don't use it hmm

I am determined to bake and cook more so will give the fake cheese a go and see how it works out grin

Dorisday13 Fri 10-May-13 16:20:11

I think pure olive I'd made with soya, possibly. Will get out the ready made frosting!

I've really gotten into making ice cream with cocunut milk that's really really good!!

On the yorky front ill get some karo and not bother trying with the oat milk, I think rice milk is too thin.

Do you think I can get neocate on prescription to cook with?

janey223 Fri 10-May-13 18:55:51

Used it a few times without problems for either if us, cream cheese style with the carrot cake for Easter was devine!

You probably could get it, just don't ever use it for something you'll eat it's vile!

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Fri 10-May-13 19:16:50

Heinz baked bean slices, sold by Asda, are nut, dairy, soy free, though not legume free.

Good for a rush-job dinner on busy evenings, with chips.

DS3 is fine with baked beans, but is allergic to chickpeas, green beans and lentils. Yet another PITA!

MadMonkeys Fri 17-May-13 16:00:28

Is block stork soya free? Got caught out with olive Pure, that does contain soya...

CouthyMow Fri 17-May-13 16:10:53

Block Stork is dairy AND soy free - DS3 is allergic to both. It's vegetable oil based.

IkeaIdea Fri 17-May-13 16:47:57

At the Cake and Bake show I spoke to a cupcake maker who had allergy cakes and she recommended half Vitalite and half Trex to make buttercream.
Be sure to add an essence or extract though because it is missing the nice buttery taste. I've done it with vanilla extract and a coffee essence, both were great and the buttercream has a better consistency than just with Vitalite or Pure.

Dorisday13 Fri 17-May-13 18:59:12

Ooh thanks ikeaidea! I was about to ask has anyone tried using trex

mamado Fri 24-May-13 21:15:45

My dd's are dairy, egg, peanut and sesame seed free - cakes, buttercream and even meringues are possible! i write a food-allergy blog which now has over 300 recipes that are free from the above allergens (lots gluten and soya-free too!) - PM me if you want the link! (I'm particularly proud of the meringues!)

CouthyMow Fri 24-May-13 22:33:04

I use tree for roast potatoes, but didn't think about buttercream with it.

I will have to give the half Vitalite, half trex a try.

Dorisday13 Sat 25-May-13 10:43:16

I tried the buttercream yesterday for dh's bday cake, it's good! smile

I used trex for the sponge too, didn't rise properly but that might not be the trex!
If anyone has a bomb proof choccie sponge recipe id love to see it! X

CouthyMow Sat 25-May-13 12:14:15

I just use any old Madeira cake recipe baked with block Stork instead of butter, and replace 30g of the flour with Green & Black's good quality cocoa.

It works.

I've even made a marble cake by splitting the mix and replacing 15g of the flour (for one half of the mixture) with cocoa.

I like to colour my DC's cakes though - they love it when you cut open the cake to reveal their favourite colour.

The last one I did was a black and red marble cake for DS1's birthday.

OmiQueenofTypose Sat 25-May-13 12:32:18

I have a chocolate cake recipe. It is egg and dairy free (and I've made it with gluten-free flour, too). It is really quick and easy to make, and not much washing up as you can mix it in the cake pan. I also make it as chocolate muffins too. I've only got it in cups, but imo that just makes it easier to make!

1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
6 tbsp vegetable oil / sunflower oil
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup cool water

Preheat oven to 180c / gas mark 4.

1. Sift the flour into a cake tin (8x8 inch square is suggested, but I've used a range of shapes and sizes!)
2. In a small bowl, whisk the sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt, then add this to the flour and mix well with a fork.
3. Make three wells in the mixture, 1 large, 1 medium, 1 small.
In the large well, put the oil; in the medium, put the vinegar; in the the small, put the vanilla.
4. Pour the water over everything, mix again with a fork.

Bake for 30 minutes.

I often up the cocoa a bit. It's not exactly a rich chocolate cake, but it has served well for many a birthday party.

Yorkshire pudding made with Oatley are rubbish, but work well with rice milk. I know there are concerns about arsenic levels in rice milk but I've decided that occasional use is ok for DS

CouthyMow Sat 25-May-13 22:13:34

They work with Oatly CREAM. The milk is too thin.

redwellybluewelly Sat 25-May-13 22:26:55

Brilliant thread,

DD now almost 3 has been df/sf since six weeks old (I bf and had to follow a restricted diet). We have therefore all been pretty much df/sf since then as well!

Very excited to read the pizza bases and oatley cream tips. I try to ensure that DD has a chance at eating a range of foods and yet Yorkshire puds and white sauce had failed me. Because of her low body weight I didn't try rice milk, we find too much Oatley does cause an eczema flare up.

I bake all her bread, snacks and cakes using Pure sunflower spread. And I do a thick rice pudding too, porridge made with oat milk is also lovely.

CouthyMow Sun 26-May-13 01:23:32

I had the same, from when DS3 was 8 weeks old, I had to be on a restricted diet while bf.

Now for some toddler snack suggestions. Bear in mind that my list might be more restrictive than you need due to DS3 being nut allergic too. And quite a few aren't GF, as he is fine with gluten.

So far, I have found : Tesco GF scotch pancakes are dairy, soy, nut free. (And GF/wheat free).

Baby Organix crisps, the pink prawn flavour stars, and the orange carrot flavour sticks are both dairy & soy free, but DS3 can't have them now as they started using nuts on the machinery around 3 months or so ago. Ditto the rest of the Baby Organix range.

The mini gingerbread men are dairy & soy free, as are the vanilla and raspberry puffs, and all of their rice cakes EXCEPT the cheese ones. All baby Organix range.

Tesco Potato cakes, Sainsbury's too. ASDA ONES HAVE SOY LECITHIN IN.

Orgran kids mini outback animals chocolate cookies are nut, soy, gluten, wheat, dairy, egg, yeast free and vegan. Really nice though!

The fruit factory fruit strings / fruit hearts / fruit stars are found near the raisins and/or down the baking aisle in most supermarkets, and are dairy, soy, nut free. They are dusted in maize starch.

And there's Zero Zebra rice milk chocolate sold by Allergy Essex (online shop). They do a plain version, a rice crispy version, and my personal favourite, one with freeze dried raspberry bits in. I really can't tell the difference between it and ordinary chocolate, except, if anything, it is slightly creamier! They are free from all of the 14 main allergens.

Lots of the value ranges of biscuits are dairy & soy free - Tesco value bourbon creams are dairy, soy, nut free. Often because they are cheaper because they replace the butter with vegetable oil. The value digestives are dairy, soy, nut free too.

With biscuits, look at value brands first, as they are far more likely to be safe!

If anyone else has any snack suggestions, I'm always on the lookout.

Oh - Coleman's seafood sauce is dairy, soy, nut free. DS3 loves having avocado and prawns for lunch with seafood sauce, or having cucumber and carrot sticks to dip in it.

Uncle Ben's Lemon and ginger stir fry sauce (in a jar, with an orange lid) IS dairy & soy free. So now I can even cook DS3 a soy-free stir fry!!

Heinz ketchup, steak sauce and barbecue sauce are all dairy, soy, nut free.

I slow cook beef brisket in a sauce made up of a bottle of Heinz barbecue sauce, a tin of chopped tomatoes, and two Oxo cubes.

• Oxo cubes are NOT GF or wheat free.

Gravy - I use either Knorr gravy pots, or Coleman's instant chicken/beef gravy (comes in a tube) for a dairy & soy free gravy. THESE ARE NOT GF.

Pre cooked mini sausages (with the picnic food) seem to be dairy, soy, nut free in every supermarket.

At least in Tesco (how can you tell it's my closest shop?!), there are lots of the other picnic snacks that are dairy & soy free. The mini scotch eggs. The chicken nuggets. The pork pies. MOST AREN'T GF.

Bird's eye chicken dippers are NOT dairy & Soy free...but Tesco own brand ARE.

Tesco bags of 30 cod fish fingers are dairy & soy free. Young's calamari are too.

Party food - lots of the Indian selections are dairy & soy free. Don't even bother with any of the Chinese ones. Sausage rolls - Tesco value use veg oil instead of butter, and are dairy & soy free.

Hope some of this is helpful. I will put some more things on here as I think of them.

As you can tell, shopping takes up a lot of my time...wink

CouthyMow Sun 26-May-13 01:28:14

The white sauce recipe also works with Nutramigen and Neocate.

Or if you want to avoid using too much Oatly, try making it with stock. There are dairy, soy, AND GF stocks out there, it just takes some label reading...

<<I spend half my life reading labels...>>

CouthyMow Sun 26-May-13 01:41:50

Oh, another one - you can't buy ready-made popcorn, as it all has soy lecithin in, but the Popz microwave one, at least the sweet one, IS dairy & soy free. It is in a blue and yellow box.

Brilliant for film night!

The GF gravy that I have run out of is not on sale any more (which might be why I haven't found it for a while and have completely run out...) - but Orgran do a GF gravy powder, and so do Free & Easy.

CouthyMow Sun 26-May-13 01:43:49

I'm going to be buying an ice cream maker soon, and I will be trying out ice cream and sorbet recipes.

And I'm still working on a vague idea that it MUST be possible to make a dairy, soy free yoghurt...

CouthyMow Sun 26-May-13 01:44:23

<<Obviously has too much time on her hands...>>

redwellybluewelly Sun 26-May-13 08:49:52

Couthy you are an absolute &#9733; (star), thats going to revolutionise my ability to make sure DD eats what we eat. Usually we have to eat later if we want pizza or a stir fry.

Wow. Shame I did a fortnight's shop yesterday, might have to go on a little explore...

janey223 Sun 26-May-13 09:35:36

Organix oat bars are DS's favourite snack, the sainsburys basic ones &anna karmel ones are dairy, soy & nut free too. He's nicked a gingerbread man, tesco mini ones, they are dairy soy nut free but made in a factory with nuts (not on the same line), coop ones are too I think (although I last bought them about 6 m ago!).

Tesco banana and coconut milk free from smoothies, happy monkey smoothies (don't know about innocent), '

Check value ranges garlic bread! Sainsburys one is not suitable for milk allergy sufferers but he's always been fine. Sainsburys be good to yourself guacamole. Kinnerton dark chocolate df/sf/Gf/wf/nf I love it.

Watch birds eye fish fingers, some varieties have now added milk sad

redwellybluewelly Sun 26-May-13 12:39:40

Oh and Aunt Bessies roast potatoes have milk powder in, as do many battered/breadcrumbed fish portions. Sainsburys TTD fishfingers are certainly df/sf and their battered haddock is as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now