Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any dairy free/soya free bakers?

(185 Posts)
Dorisday13 Sat 04-May-13 15:12:30

What's the best alternative for baking? Oat milk? Rice milk? I'm trying to make savory muffins :-) x

Dorisday13 Wed 08-May-13 09:23:52

Block stork is a revelation, :-)

missalien Wed 08-May-13 22:14:26

Pop didn't know about block stork! We use sunflower pure its great and tastes lovely , and oat milk , no one knows te difference in baking always good results , we use egg replacement powder too and that's ok , haven't tried meringues with it yet though!

rootypig Wed 08-May-13 22:17:09

There are some helpful principles here:

www.theppk.com/vegan-baking-the-post-punk-kitchen-shows-you-how/

and if you can translate the American quantities and products, the recipes on the site are delicious too

rootypig Wed 08-May-13 22:20:10

Sorry hit post too soon.

Ottolenghi has some really nice cake recipes that use oil (apple and olive oil cake, his carrot cake)

And using grated vegetables is helpful, there are lots of ideas in Harry Eastwood's cookbook.

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Wed 08-May-13 22:59:04

Even DS3's dietician didn't know about block Stork!! I had to tell her! grin

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Wed 08-May-13 23:02:02

You don't need to use the cheese - lasagne works fine with just the white sauce.

I made DS3 his first ever pizza tonight - and he loved it. Pizza had eluded me, but finding that Napolina mini bases are dairy, soy, nut free was a revelation.

Mini pizza base, passata, Cheezly soy free and some pepperoni.

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Wed 08-May-13 23:03:48

Yorkshire puddings made with Neocate work. I have a sandwich bag full of them in the freezer. You just need to use slightly more flour than normal. Cook them so that they are lightly done then freeze.

When needed, just bung in the oven from frozen to heat through.

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Wed 08-May-13 23:04:45

I think that if they haven't been used to real cheese, then Cheezly works fine. DS3 seems to like the soy free one.

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Wed 08-May-13 23:05:16

But then, he loves Neocate, which I think smells and tastes like sweaty socks...

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Wed 08-May-13 23:06:47

I will quantify the mini pizza bases with the fact that I am still shite at bread making. I've tried. It invariably ends up as a loaf-shaped rock! blush

Dorisday13 Thu 09-May-13 07:35:29

I've just seen oatley contains palm oil which I'm ethically not happy with :-(
I hadn't thought of using neonate for cooking, I could use breast milk I suppose?

Dorisday13 Thu 09-May-13 07:37:24

Very proud of myself made salt free bread last night for lo (cheated and used a bread maker tho!)

Also I have a very very easy pizza dough recipe if you'd like it, dh usually makes by hand, very quick, we make a kg dough then roll and freeze in discs

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Thu 09-May-13 07:51:30

Sorry - I have to put ethics at a secondary position to keeping my DS on a balanced diet because his diet is so restricted.

What are the ethical considerations RE palm oil?

harverina Thu 09-May-13 08:36:23

Couthy thanks for the tips going to give the cheese a go grinI'm thinking we will have lasagne at the weekend yay! Do you enjoy it too?

Dorisday13 Thu 09-May-13 10:59:59

I know it's hard isn't it, I'd never judge anyone else it's just my choice, I don't know how to do one of those fancy hyperlinks bit if you google palm oil and orangutans it's all there, I think there's a wwf page too.

Dorisday13 Thu 09-May-13 11:11:54

Has anyone tried cooking with breast milk? Or am a bonkers for thinking of it? shock

janey223 Thu 09-May-13 11:55:01

I've heard MozzaRisella is yummy, must try it soon, DS is milk, legume, soy & nut free so blooming impossible cheese wise.

Can someone give me a decent Yorkshire pudding recipie? My cakes are with oil, vitalite or stork, whatever's handy! Bourneville for making them chocolate, pure makes the best buttercream icing I think.

Dorisday13 Thu 09-May-13 12:26:39

I'll try the mozzarisella, I like vegusto but I think that's made of nuts so no good for you...:-(

I'll let someone else come along with a Yorkshire pud recipe as mine subbing for almond milk was not good!

Dorisday13 Thu 09-May-13 12:27:33

Vitalite buttercream is very odd I think! Will try pure, I'm guessing the sunflower one?

Dorisday13 Thu 09-May-13 12:29:17

Harverina vegusto do a cheese sauce I heard is good, I haven't tried it myself yet tho, but I agree with couthy and go for a white sauce with lasagne x

janey223 Fri 10-May-13 11:21:10

Couldn't have been as bad as my oatly yorkies hmm

I think vitalite buttercream is odd too, I use the sunflower yeh. Anyone tried the pure olive? I seen it on ocado sounds yum!

KarA Yorkies aren't bad. I managed to make then work ok. Not as crispy though

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Fri 10-May-13 12:57:43

DON'T use block stork to make buttercream. It's RANK!

<<Voice of experience!>>

There IS a strawberry flavoured frosting in a pot in Tesco down the baking aisle that is dairy, soy, nut free - think it's also GF, but not sure about egg free.

It tastes really nice, and eliminates the need to piss about trying to home make an alternative!

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Fri 10-May-13 12:58:46

To get them really crispy, cook them till they are just golden, then freeze them. When you want to use them, put them in a preheated oven from frozen.

It makes them crispier!

janey223 Fri 10-May-13 14:09:45

Betty Crocker (I think that's it? :-/) icing - loads of it is sf/df including the cream cheese style!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now