Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

caution - rant alert re DS school

(19 Posts)
megandraper Mon 13-May-13 14:52:29

Hope it goes well babybarrister.

My advice is to get to know the catering team and keep a close eye on things. Don't forget to be appreciative of them too - a bit of thanks goes a long way in getting people to take extra care with your DS's food.

harverina Sun 12-May-13 11:06:21

This is appalling bb! Glad you got a solution re. the catering.

Cannot believe that a teacher has lost medication - if it fell into the wrong hands it could be so dangerous. I mean, if she has lost it, does she know for sure that a child hasn't picked it up? shock

greenbananas Fri 10-May-13 19:37:08

Glad they are addressing this. Let us know how you get on.

There's another thread about school catering at the moment... sad looks like you are not alone in this.

I do think it's still worth giving Ofsted a call to see what they think of your DS being the only one to have packed lunches. I can sort of understand why a school would want all children to eat the same meals, cooked on the premises, but with so many children having different dietary needs it seems to me that they ought to rethink this policy. No doubt they are trying to be inclusive and promote healthy eating etc. but it doesn't always work out that way in practice.

babybarrister Fri 10-May-13 19:03:24

ok had good talk with school - they will instate catering but next term and will investigate issue of missing bum bags ....

eragon Sat 04-May-13 11:38:01

I think a letter to the governers might be helpful here. How slack are they with the asthma kids btw?

agree with the ring to ofstead. if they are this slap dash I would question every aspect of your child's care in this setting.

greenbananas Sat 04-May-13 08:54:43

Hope your meeting goes well. It's just so shocking that the teacher lost medication sad and really rubbish that your DS has to be the only one with a packed lunch.

The school should have an inclusion policy and a medication policy (am sure Ofsted require these whether or not school is private). I suggest calling Ofsted to see what their view of the situation is. Losing medication twice is a pretty serious failing! Also, schools have a duty to make sure every child is included in the daily life of the school.

Weta Fri 03-May-13 20:36:57

Hi BB!
I'm no good on what 'should' be offered in a school as we are in a different country, but for the meals we had a similar situation when DS1 started school in France as they were unable to cater for him and all the other children either went home for lunch or had a hot meal at the canteen.

So instead I used to make the meals at home (leftovers or batch cooking frozen in individual portions) and take them to school in an isotherm type pack, then they were taken to the canteen and the canteen woman would heat it up for him on a plate. He was very happy with it and it didn't cause any problems - although we did have to sign a waiver that any issues with food poisoning etc would be our responsibility!

I just wondered if that might be a possible solution for your situation?

Also, at the school he is in now they were able to order vacuum packed hypoallergenic meals which they could then heat up for him - is something like that available in the UK?

Good luck with it, it's so hard when everything seems fine and then the rug is pulled from under you!

Pancakeflipper Fri 03-May-13 20:22:12

They just don't know how to deal with it, so do the pants thing and ignore it.

When actually it just needs common sense to deal with it and willingness to think out the box a little.

Grrrr

babybarrister Fri 03-May-13 17:42:58

Thanks - I know I wrote to my MP about this. He ignored my letterhmm

Pancakeflipper Fri 03-May-13 16:41:41

That's an annoying step back for you and your DS.

I know this is not much use for you now but the exclusion regarding meals is mentioned in this bill. An interesting bill for those of us with children with illnesses/allergies/intolerances.

1. At least a million children of school age in England have a health condition. Many of them are struggling to achieve their full potential at school because they do not receive the right health support in school

www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201213/cmpublic/childrenandfamilies/memo/cf26.htm

babybarrister Fri 03-May-13 16:38:47

Teacher's set is extra as although I am all up for DS stepping up to the mark, he was only 5 when they decided he needed to carry his own epipens and I was worried about him losing them - haha hahgrin
I am about to arrange 'The Meeting' - it was all going so well I have not had to - famous last words ...
Apparently he is the most allergic child they have had ...hmm

Anyway, mustn't grumble --fuck, fuck,fuck--confused

FannyMcNally Fri 03-May-13 16:19:27

obviously meant non-contamination....blush

FannyMcNally Fri 03-May-13 16:18:06

I'm not sure why the teacher would have one. He will be in situations all day when he is not with her e.g. other lessons, lunchtime etc so a better place would be somewhere central like the office where all adults who deal with him know where it is. I assume it's just a back-up anyway as he has his own. My own GP surgery always try to give me more than I need so it must be frustrating for you if they make a fuss about replacements!

Not sure how I feel about the meal situation as I would prefer to provide food from home for this level of intolerance. But maybe it's only a temporary thing, are they having to have meals sent in and can't guarantee contamination?

freefrommum Fri 03-May-13 16:06:56

That's really awful bb! Feel really angry on your behalf. Really can't get my head around the 'losing' epi-pens bit. How can that possibly happen? I'd be scared to death if that happened even once in DS's school. What about diabetics? Does she 'lose' their meds too? Shocking. Pretty sure you could argue that under the Equality Act they have a duty to make 'reasonable adjustments' to accommodate your DS's allergies and that would include catering for his lunch if nobody else has packed lunches in the school.

megandraper Fri 03-May-13 16:06:26

That sounds very bad, babybarrister.

DSs are coeliac, and at private school, which has bent over backwards to help with diet.

Can you request a meeting with head and owner, and have a discussion about all the issues, and agree a plan going forward?

Food allergies / intolerances are becoming far more common (or actually, just better diagnosed). A school really benefits from dealing with them well, as they can promote themselves on it. Another child at our school has just had to go g-f - the school were able to absorb it seamlessly because of all the work I've put in to getting it sorted

babybarrister Fri 03-May-13 15:49:40

Private school ....

NatashaBee Fri 03-May-13 14:03:14

Agree, if they're losing medication that's a serious health and safety concern. Do they have a policy on how to manage medications? Have you seen it?

eragon Fri 03-May-13 14:00:01

I find this to be very concerning. is this a private school or state ?

Its pretty serious that they are loosing medication in a school. what does that say about medicine safety generally in the school?

why would your child be the only one with a packed lunch? why isnt this a choice for all? This is NOT an inclusive attittude and against any inclusive policy they have.

hope you make an appointment with the head teacher and get this sorted pronto. ( dont let them get away with this, am feeling angry just reading your post!!)

babybarrister Fri 03-May-13 13:34:19

DS highly anaphylactic to various foodstuffs and animals blah, blah, blah.....

now aged 6.5 and in second year at school. seemed to be fab - great catering for him at lunch [never had an issue and no "mistakes"] and v on the ball re his bum bag with epipens in etc etc

now, they have apparently lost a chef, "cannot" ie will not replace and have effectively decided that can no longer cater for him so he will now be the only one with a packed lunch ...

in addition, he has his own set of epipens in a bum bag whciih he carries with him all the time but the teacher has one too ...except irony of ironies, she has lost hers TWICE whilst DS has managed not to lose his at all hmm

I am told that other teachers are taking her first aid rucksack in whcih she put the bumbag but still - all of us on here know the grovelling that goes on with GPs to get more epipens for school in the first place and now I have had to go back twice to say that actually it is the school that has lost them angry

anyway, not expecting responses -tbh it is all too irritating and dull to merit - everyone has their own irritations in life I know grin! just needed to vent .... and breathe smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now