Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

2-year-old son has suncream allergy

(33 Posts)
Avonbabies Tue 23-Apr-13 14:09:51

Hi, my 2 year old has a nasty allergry to suncream. I've tried 3 brands so far: nivea for kids, L'oreal for kids and now sudacrem which I thought was extra sensitive. His whole face goes very red and swollen and itchy. He's on anti-histamines. This happened last year too. I've seen that Roche-Posay is supposed to be good and also Sunsense, either the toddler milk or sensitive. Does anyone have any advice? My GP thinks it's either slapped cheek syndrome or sun sensitivity. He thinks you can't be allergic to hypoallergenic cream and hasn't offered any advice re. what to do next. I'm 100% sure it's not slapped cheek. This is the first time this year he's come out in such a rash and it's on the day I used the sudocrem. Thanks!

Avonbabies Fri 26-Apr-13 23:38:40

Thanks everyone. I think I will push for a dermotologist appointment. Our GP has said he can't prescribe a suncream because of budget cuts.

Do you think it's OK to do 2 patch tests at once i.e. one product on one wrist and one on the other? Once I've established which product is ok on the wrist I'll try his face. I imagine it might be a slow process and that we'll have to try a few!

geologygirl Fri 26-Apr-13 23:54:48

I suffer with allergies to suncream and have had polymorphic light eruptions too. Your little one could have a allergy to the cream or could just be getting to hot....thus is worsened by the layer of suncream so its a tricky one to handle! Whenever I go somewhere very hot for a holiday, I have to start taking antihistamines several days before I go, to prevent the reaction. Bepanthen actually do a good cream...cant recall what factor it us but its for babies

MousyMouse Fri 26-Apr-13 23:59:53

dc reacts to many sun creams.
for us it seems that moisturising creams and the ones with extra high factor are the worst.
nivea light feeling cream (light blue bottle) factor 30 worked well so far.

Avonbabies Sat 27-Apr-13 23:45:47

I've done a patch test today with la Roche-Posay on my son's wrist. So far so good. Next will try a very small area on his face.

Sambeth Fri 07-Jun-13 10:32:40

Have you tried Sunsafe (you can get it from the Nutri Centre by phone)? Also Homeopathy can help - my kids take it instead of suncream - although they also cover up a fair amount. A quick burst of sun then T shirts and hats. You can give them a bit more sun each day and they will get lots of Vit D!!

Sambeth Fri 07-Jun-13 10:37:50

Also I understood slapped cheek was Parvo Virus (easy to pick up from vaccinated dogs). Only the complementary lot have any solutions for this. I would see if you can get him to tolerate the sun in small amounts and investigate the slapped cheek if the red face is still there when there is no suncream.

Mamab33 Tue 18-Jun-13 21:12:55

Lavera sunscreens get great reviews for this sort of thing. Easy to get online.

MisForMumNotMaid Tue 18-Jun-13 21:25:50

I have problems with particularly higher factor creams I get kind of a heat rash from them, its like my skin can't breathe under the barrier.

I can't put creams on when I'm already hot either, instant rash.

I am an eczema sufferer.

I don't know if this is a fact but for years now I've stopped testing things on my inner wrists, I think it was something about the skin is different on your inner wrists. I now test on the upper area of my arm.

You could email companies for samples - it can work sometimes.

Good luck .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now