Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help please I've had 2 new reactors since giving birth

(11 Posts)
Puddlelane Tue 09-Apr-13 10:11:50

I am allergic, anaphylaxic to ibuprofen and aspirin. I just avoid.
Once in pregnancy I had the tingly tongue, swollen mouth burning feeling when I ate marmalade, this had never happened before.
I'm now 5 months pp and I've reacted to marmite and raspberry jam. Neither are new products to me.

I don't understand why I'm reacting to what are usually safe foods?

I do have a cow milk protein allergy but I know what foods are safe.

Short of carrying prition everywhere what should I do?

I can only do child allergies!

OHforDUCKScake Tue 09-Apr-13 13:12:41

Hmm sounds like a jam link doesnt it? Presumably its just fruit and sugar?

Puddlelane Tue 09-Apr-13 13:55:25

That's what I was thought. I'm going to do a round up of the ingredient lists and compare. Unless its a preservative maybe?
I feel too old for this!

babybarrister Tue 09-Apr-13 21:04:10

Give the Anaphylaxis Campaign a ring - their helpline are excellent and they may have some
Ideassmile

eragon Fri 12-Apr-13 13:23:29

have you got any tree pollen allergys?

btw orange and marmite are higher in histamine, could just be that high histamine foods are becoming a problem. this could be just temporary.

worth getting some medical advice if you can.

Puddlelane Fri 12-Apr-13 22:14:06

Thank you for all getting back to me.
I do have tree pollen allergy- pine. I had a reaction to Vicks First Defence spray which the only thing I could possibly be allergic to was an ingredient that was derived (or very similar to)from a pine tree.

I would have never have thought that orange and marmite would all be related.

I've been pretty poorly recently could that be a trigger?

Puddlelane Fri 12-Apr-13 22:17:20

It's so isolating, I can deal with my DC allergy no problem but my own, I am useless. No one seems bothered tbh.

eragon Fri 12-Apr-13 22:21:20

yes being ill with any other infection or virus woud make your system overload iyswim.

have you gone back to your gp to ask for more support in this area?

i can understand why it feels so isolating.
hope things improve soon.

Puddlelane Fri 12-Apr-13 22:38:13

Ok, right I'm seeing the doc in a couple of weeks I will definitely bring this up.
It's bloody horrible tbh, it just never even occurred to me new allergies would occur. As soon as I get that tingling burning feeling in my mouth, it's just a classic 'early' reaction for me.

Thank you for replying, I really do appreciate it.

NoPartyDay Sat 13-Apr-13 06:46:27

Oranges, berries, aspirin all fall into the category of foods that are called "salicylates" .
May need to avoid this entire category of foods(all salicylates) for now until get tested at an allergist. I used the site "fedup.com" when working out a diet for my daughter who had reactions to salicylates and additives in foods/food intolerances.

NoPartyDay Sat 13-Apr-13 07:52:00

just realised oranges, berries, aspirin,tea most fruits, corn, some spices, some veg are very high in salicylates.
many foods have traces of salicylates, but only some are very high
best wishes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now