Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Zantac tablets for itch/allergies?

(7 Posts)
seoda24 Tue 26-Mar-13 23:32:34

Colditz, you are wonderful!That explains a lot to me in a few minutes.Interesting reading for a newbie like me to the world of allergies/eczema.Many thanks x

colditz Tue 26-Mar-13 23:24:45
colditz Tue 26-Mar-13 23:23:10

It could be that some of the other meds you have been given make you prone to ulcers, and she is trying to protect your stomach.

colditz Tue 26-Mar-13 23:21:51

Ok, your stomach releases histamines, which kind of trigger the production of acid. Sort of. Zantac blocks the effect of those histamines on your stomach. I really cannot understand why she's given it to you as it's only really used to stop acid indigestion, peptic ulcers, and to prevent stress ulcers.

I am not a medical professional.

If I were you. I'd go and ask the pharmacist, they generally know what they are talking about and will explain properly

seoda24 Tue 26-Mar-13 23:14:56

MoreBeta, thanks for answering.No problems at all regarding stomach or gall bladder or what you have mentioned above so I am confused.I don't want to make matters worse so am curious!She mentioned something about an H2 blocker antihistamine but I didn't take it all in.Thanks x

MoreBeta Tue 26-Mar-13 22:37:18

Gall bladder problems cause itchy skin (along with severe abdominal pain). Bile is used in the gut to neutralise acid from the stomach and digest fat.

I had my gall bladder out and have acid problems and zantac was prescribed which I reacted badly to.

Do you have gall bladder/acid/indigestion problems?

seoda24 Tue 26-Mar-13 22:30:07

Hi, am slightly confused here/ I have been prescribed Zantac tablets for my eczema/ itch as well as other anti histamines I am taking.These tablets say they are for stomach acid problems when I researched them so why am I recommended to take them?Any idea? many thanks x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now