Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Milk allergy and we're vegetarian. suggestions/advise please

(8 Posts)

I was veggie and dairy free for several years as DS2 has a milk allergy.

Costa - the blueberry muffins are dairy free, as are the tea cakes, kids decorated gingerbread and 'free from' bake well tarts. The egg mayo sandwich is dairy free.

M&S cafe - there is a free from double chocolate muffin and the iced fruit bun is ok.

Starbucks - there is a dairy free choc and hazelnut cake slice, and a falafel panini

Pizza express pizza base is dairy free, and they will leave cheese off any item on request. I like the florentina pizza as the egg on top gives the impression of cheese iyswim. There is also a dairy free sorbet for pud.

Pret a manger - the egg mayo sandwich is ok

Nandos - the veggie burger is DF but you need to ask them to leave off the peri mayo.

My standby item was always a jacket potato and beans smile

What eateries are your favourites, and I'll see if I have any suggestions.

I was veggie and dairy free for several years as DS2 has a milk allergy.

Costa - the blueberry muffins are dairy free, as are the tea cakes, kids decorated gingerbread and 'free from' bake well tarts. The egg mayo sandwich is dairy free.

M&S cafe - there is a free from double chocolate muffin and the iced fruit bun is ok.

Starbucks - there is a dairy free choc and hazelnut cake slice, and a falafel panini

Pizza express pizza base is dairy free, and they will leave cheese off any item on request. I like the florentina pizza as the egg on top gives the impression of cheese iyswim. There is also a dairy free sorbet for pud.

Pret a manger - the egg mayo sandwich is ok

Nandos - the veggie burger is DF but you need to ask them to leave off the peri mayo.

My standby item was always a jacket potato and beans smile

What eateries are your favourites, and I'll see if I have any suggestions.

trixymalixy Wed 13-Mar-13 18:28:32

But agree with others, I'd really struggle if I couldn't give DS meat as he can't eat lentils, beans or chickpeas so I'd struggle to give him a balanced diet.

trixymalixy Wed 13-Mar-13 18:27:15

Try a vegan cafe. There are several in my area. The kids are amazed when they can eat the cake and they also do ice cream sundaes.

If you are wanting to reintroduce dairy I'd start with baked products such as biscuits or cake containing milk.

DorisIsWaiting Wed 13-Mar-13 12:47:33

I agree, dd's are now all meat eaters as their diet is so resticted already I didn't want to make things even more difficult for them than they already were.

impecuniousmarmoset Wed 13-Mar-13 10:39:52

Not sure re eating out, but for home inspiration, there are lots of good vegan cookbooks, look on amazon - for eg veganomicon. But be aware that while a vegan diet (though including eggs I guess?) for a non-fussy adult is perfectly doable, if your DD continues to be allergic to milk, a vegan diet for a toddler/child would be a much greater ask imo. Not impossible, but though I'm a super-keen cook, the thought of making my dairy-allergic DD also go meat-free while still giving her a vaguely balanced diet is pretty daunting to say the least. I find life hard enough as it is! Sorry...

DorisIsWaiting Wed 13-Mar-13 10:26:47

I was veggie and df for several years, it is doable (although I slipped a little towards the end and started having fish blush.

Look for vegan receipes. We went to costa yesterday (classy I know!) and dd3 (DF) had a gingerbread biscuit which was surprisingly df.

(DD1 is now also soya free which is even harder!)

JammieE Wed 13-Mar-13 10:19:59

Hi all,
My daughter is 9 weeks old and has a milk allergy. I'm breast feeding so have had to completely cut milk out of my diet (including anything with butter or powdered milk). We're also a vegetarian family so I'm finding it really limiting as we relied heavily on cheese, especially when eating out as it is really hard to find cheese-free veggie food. Please can anyone suggest good places to go with a little one which will cater for a veggie, dairy-free diet. I'm desperate to leave the house, even if just for a black tea and bit of cake but can't find anywhere to go.

The Dr also suggested trying little bits of milk in certain foods to see what will and won't affect my daughter but I'm really nervous about doing this as I don't want to eat something that is going to cause her pain or bring back the blood in the poos as I can't help but find this really upsetting. Does anyone have any advice as to how to go about reintroducing small amounts of dairy; how much to try at a time, foods that are good to try first and how long to wait before trying the next thing.

Hope someone has some advice and thanks for reading.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now