Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

GLUTEN FREE SCONES RECIPE PLEASE

(5 Posts)
BagWoman Mon 11-Mar-13 16:02:48

Hoep you can help. I am brill at making ordinary scones- they come out huge! But wheat free- hopeless.

I've been using my ordinary recipe but they just are not rising. if I add more baking powder they taste salty.

I've tried Dove's Farm strong flour and also their ordinary plain flour with added baking powder ( I do this for wheat flour scones and it works a treat. it also works brill for gluten free cakes)

I am using:
8oz Dove's Farm flour
2 oz marg
3 teaspoons baking powder
Enough milk or milk subtitute ( oat milk etc) to bind
Little sugar
raisins

Looking on web there are some recipes adding more xantham gum, more baking powder and an egg.

Any suggestions?

Jammygal Mon 11-Mar-13 16:09:45

What about getting some doves sr flour which has bicarbonate and xantham already in it ;)

I find their flour awesome and hardly ever adjust recipes ;)

BagWoman Mon 11-Mar-13 17:33:15

But how would that be any different? the flour I used already has xanthan gum in it anyway. All I did was add baking powder which ought to be fine.

Whoateallthecheese Thu 25-Apr-13 11:18:21

I struggle with scones too, although I can do a mean cheese scone that rises a treat, happy to give the (very easy) recipe for that if it helps.

For normal scones, I found the choc chip scone recipe from the Gluten Free Cooking For Kids book by Adriana Rabinovich worked the best of any I've tried so far, I substituted raisins for the choc chips and they worked really well. Apparently you can also turn these into cheese scones too but I haven't tried this adaptation.

Whoateallthecheese Thu 25-Apr-13 11:22:12

If was going to have a go at adapting the recipe you talk about above, I'd do the following:

I usually use 2 tsp of baking powder for 8 oz.
Add about a 1/4 tsp of xantham gum
Doves farm plain flour
And try butter instead of marg

I've been gf for over a decade now and have done a lot of experimenting over the years!

But also - and this might sound really stupid, but I used to roll the dough out thinner and expect it to rise. GF stuff doesn't rise as well, so I tried not rolling it out as thin. When I left the mixture thicker, they rose a bit but ended up looking like 'proper' scones rather than coasters!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now