Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Advice on animal allergies please!

(5 Posts)
freefrommum Mon 11-Mar-13 10:59:02

As some of you know, I have 5 yr old DS with multiple food allergies, asthma and eczema and 11 yr old DD with eczema and recently diagnosed with coeliac disease but no asthma or allergies - or so I thought! Over the past couple of years, DD has developed hayfever and also started to get itchy eyes and runny nose around cats and sometimes dogs. Last year we went to a friend's house where they'd just got a new kitten. DD didn't touch the cat but after being in the house for an hour or so she became quite unwell and very wheezy. She's never been wheezy before in her life so I was quite shocked. Gave her DS's antihistamine and inhaler then took her home and the symptoms eventually calmed down. Not happened again since until this weekend she went on adventure weekend with school which included horse riding (which she has done once before). She said her eyes and nose started itching and running as soon as she got near the horse then after approx. 10mins riding she became wheezy and had to stop. She went back to her room, took antihistamines and waited for symptoms to subside.

So, if I didn't have DS and therefore didn't really know about the possibility of anaphylactic reactions to animals, I probably wouldn't be that worried but given that I know from this forum that some of your DC have life threatening allergies to animals I'm now quite concerned. Should I take her for allergy testing or am I being paranoid just because I've got one anaphylactic child already? I don't want the medical professionals thinking I'm obsessed with allergies but I equally don't want DD's next close encounter with an animal to be her last iyswim. Any advice much appreciated, particularly from babybarrister if you're reading this!

thehumanegg Mon 11-Mar-13 14:52:26

Personally I wouldn't worry about people thinking you're obsessed with allergies and just get all the help/ referrals so you know where you are, it fair enough. Though, if it makes you feel better (though obv totally unscientific - just to say what's possible) I had bad asthma as a kid and the biggest allergy was cats. They'd lead to a puffy face with itchy throat and eyes and I'd have an asthma attack. But never anaphylactic despite multiple exposure (wasn't aware of anaphylaxis at the time), and always fixable after getting away from the problem and taking inhaler.. So hopefully it won't always follow that you'll get an anaphylactic reaction even if the reaction is quite obvious. I outgrew that reaction as a late teen or at least the severity.

freefrommum Mon 11-Mar-13 15:08:15

Thanks humanegg, that's helpful. I'm wondering if it's possible to have allergic asthma only, ie have no asthma symptoms except when exposed to specific allergens? I'm not worried about the itchy eyes/nose as I know that these are very common symptoms of allergic rhinitis but I am worried about the wheezing/breathlessness given that she never has this at any other time except around certain animals and I thought that only asthmatics would react this way. Maybe I'm wrong and wheeziness is in fact a common symptom even in those who are not asthmatic. Anybody know?

babybarrister Mon 11-Mar-13 20:50:27

Hola - well sorry to say but DS ( food allergy central) has had v nasty reactions to cats, dogs and horses ie asthmatic type of reaction with cats ( when he does not have asthma) and losing consciousness with dogs. Very puffed up face and weepy eyes with horses as well as a but wheezy. Sorry blush
I think it has to be taken very seriously unfortunately

freefrommum Mon 11-Mar-13 21:45:11

That's what I thought really, just needed someone to say it I think! Thanks babybarrister. Will ask gp to refer her for allergy testing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now