Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Only hives

(17 Posts)
melonribena Sun 10-Mar-13 19:36:43

My ds gets small red hives/ blotches on his face - that go within 30 mins on their own -when given any milk product including formula.

He has been ebf so this is only just coming to light.

I've heard that if its a cmp intolerance he can grow out of it but also that other symptoms can occur, such as sickness, reflux, stomach pains etc.

He has never had anything other than hives.

I'm hoping that because he doesn't have any other symptoms he might hopefully grow out of it? I have my fingers crossed!!

Has anyone has a dc with a hive only reaction?

eragon Mon 11-Mar-13 09:45:42

its hives. its an ige response not intol.

go to gp and ask for advice.

harverina Mon 11-Mar-13 10:35:06

Yes agree, think hives is indicative of allergy as opposed to intolerance.

melonribena Mon 11-Mar-13 11:36:30

The gp said to not give dairy until ds is a year old. That's pretty much all they said

harverina Mon 11-Mar-13 12:01:15

Personally I would push for a referral to an allergy clinic. When my dd first had a reaction aged 6 months (she was ebf until then) she was referred to the allergy clinic automatically. The difference for us was that we took dd to a&e during her reaction and were seen on the paed ward. The registrar referred us as an urgent referral and said that we had to get to the bottom of it ASAP as my dd was weaning and trying new foods all the time. Turns out she is allergic to milk eggs and nuts so I'm glad we found out through testing rather than trial and error. We were seen at the allergy clinic and by a dietician within 3 weeks.

melonribena Mon 11-Mar-13 12:28:20

Thank you. I've been to the gp 4 times and just been told to not give him any milk. They also said they don't do allergy testing before a year old.
I'm sure they just keep fobbing me off. I'm worried about ds getting enough fat and being healthy

harverina Mon 11-Mar-13 12:34:03

The good thing is that you can get fat and calcium in to his diet in other ways so I wouldn't worry about that too much. Do you have poriton in case he accidentally is given dairy or eats it?

It may be that in your area there isn't allergy testing before the age of 1 but I'm bit sure about that to be honest, someone else would be able to guide you on this better.

greygeek Mon 11-Mar-13 15:39:35

Agree with haverina, allergy testing is the best route if possible. Can you talk to a health visitor or different GP? Or Allergy UK? You need to know whether this is an allergy because you will need support in testing whether you can reintroduce dairy to the diet after 1st birthday. Many children do grow out of allergies but being able to monitor progress is what allergy clinics do really well.

melonribena Mon 11-Mar-13 17:27:45

Thank you all. I've made another appointment with the gp, a different one this time! I'm hoping she might also give me some ideas about other ways to get calcium and fat into him!

freefrommum Mon 11-Mar-13 20:35:38

When you see gp ask about prescription for hypoallergenic formula eg Nutramigen, Pepti, Neocate etc. You can use this on breakfast, in food etc to supplement breastfeeding if you want to get more calcium and fat without dairy. Another good way of getting 'good' fat into them is mashed avocado and banana - very nutritious. Dark green veg like broccoli is also good for calcium.

harverina Tue 12-Mar-13 09:30:39

Yes avocado and banana is brilliant - my dd is now 3 and still loves avocado.

You can also ask about the healthy start vitamins at your pharmacy, if you feel you'd like your ds to have a supplement.

Op does your ds react if you have eaten lots of dairy and them breastfed?

melonribena Tue 12-Mar-13 10:36:10

He doesn't react if I've eaten dairy. I love milk and drink lots of it. He also had the odd bottle of formula during his life and was fine.
This is why it's come as a big surprise really. I will definitely try avocado!

WellSlapMyThighAndCallMeNancy Tue 12-Mar-13 15:40:55

Are you still bf him?

If so, I wouldnt panic about calcium and fat as he will get lots of that from you. Theres lots of other sources of calcium and fats, dark green veg, avacado respectively.

Good luck with the next GP.

melonribena Tue 12-Mar-13 20:19:15

I am still bf, despite him being mightily disinterested during the day!

harverina Tue 12-Mar-13 21:59:09

And no reaction at all if he breastfeeds after you have a lot of raw dairy? Not even any redness around his mouth or chin?

melonribena Wed 13-Mar-13 06:09:15

I don't think so. Not that I've ever noticed anyway.

melonribena Wed 13-Mar-13 08:47:31

I checked this morning. I always eat my cereal and drink a cup of tea before I express the milk for his porridge. I never considered this was wrong, was trying to rehydrate from the night.
He doesn't have a reaction after breastfeeding tho, which I'm obviously pleased about!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now