Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Very interesting article on multiple allergen desensitisation in USA

(4 Posts)
babybarrister Fri 08-Mar-13 23:46:06
trixymalixy Sat 09-Mar-13 00:13:45

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

babybarrister Sat 09-Mar-13 09:52:04

A friend sent it over and to be honest I almost deleted it without reading as I so fed up of well meaning friends and families sending me normally wither rehashed drivel of miracle cures of articles essentially blaming the mothers in some way!! This however is neither and just a rather interesting account of a multiple allergen desensitisation programme which does not promise miracle cures!

greenbananas Sat 09-Mar-13 11:36:39

Thanks for sharing that article, even though it made me cry.

This:

...food allergies amplify a kind of fear every parent experiences — of a child dashing suddenly into the street and, just like that, being gone. Your child is always playing near a precipice that is visible only to you: you may be able to keep her from falling off, but you can never move her away from the edge.

But also this:

Research in Nadeau’s lab has found that treating allergies actually changes the genes by epigenetics (a chemical modification of the genes that does not affect the actual DNA sequence), so desensitizing children may reduce the likelihood that they will pass on the disease to their children. One day, perhaps, fatal anaphylaxis may become a sorrow associated with an earlier age, like dying of appendicitis or polio.

We probably won't get this kind of treatment on the NHS for a long time, so perhaps too late for my own sons - but maybe their children will be free of allergies, and they will not face the agonising fear and sadness we sometimes feel as parents of severely allergic children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now