Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

CMI - on Nutramigen but need advice please

(11 Posts)
eragon Sun 24-Feb-13 00:22:35

take nappy to gp, wave it under their nose. ask for a formula with completely changed cows milk protein allergy milk.

it may take some weeks for improvement, 6 weeks for some , to give time for damaged gut to heal.

agree with advice given with by all above!

good luck. be firm. remember you can wave nappy under diff gp if u want, pick a fairly newly trained one, they might have had more education in this area. well, might be worth a try!

MerryCouthyMows Sat 23-Feb-13 23:33:12

This sounds extremely like my DS3, who was put on Nutramigen at 12mo when I stopped bf.

For a whole YEAR, I kept telling the GP I thought he was still allergic to the Nutramigen, and kept getting told no, no.

Finally his next dietician appointment came round. She was concerned because he had not grown OR put on even a pound in a whole year (as I kept telling the GP!!). Once I had described his symptoms, she got quite angry, told me that yes, he WAS still allergic to Nutramigen, and swapped him onto Neocate Active.

She fired off a snotty fax to the GP surgery too!!

He is like a totally different child now he is on Neocate. Proper poos, shooting up, filling out instead of looking scrawny, happier, not as grumpy, it's been amazing!

How the dietician explained it to me is : Nutramigen is protein based. The protein chains are broken down, but in a VERY allergic DC, the body will still recognise these broken down protein chains and react to them.

Neocate is based on Amino acids, and therefore the body has no protein chains to react to.

HTH.

MamaSteph Sat 23-Feb-13 23:21:56

I'm not too bothered if her poos are green or anything. I just wondered if it meant that the milk she was in still wasn't quite right for her. As I am aware that it still has cows milk protein in it, unlike Neocate but it is just broken down more. We are now waiting to see a peadtrition.
Looking forward to the weaning stage in a few months time :-)

Pancakeflipper Sat 23-Feb-13 00:29:42

Sorry forgot to say my DS2 was on Neocate

Pancakeflipper Sat 23-Feb-13 00:29:17

My DS4 is CMI and lactose intolerant and his poos didn't become more 'poo' like until he was nearly 3. And even now they are more mousse like than a pebbly sausage type poo.

Mumoftaiba Sat 23-Feb-13 00:24:35

Nutramigen isn't hypoallergenic meaning it still has a bit of cows protein in it but it has been broken down more than the other formulas. My dd is on nutramigen aa this is hypoallergenic and she has had no probs with it. I would speak to the dr. My dr was very reluctant to give me this due to the cost I had to go through the hospital to get it. Just be persistent smile

MamaSteph Fri 22-Feb-13 21:49:39

Thank u so much for replying. I've been starting to think and plan ahead for weaning so thinking about her intolerance abit more.
She's been on nutramigen for 6/7 weeks. All of her other symptoms have gone and gaining weight fine. She is quite a small baby at not even 12lb and nearly 4 months old but according to her charts they are happy.
It's just her bowel movement that haven't got better but if what I've described is normal for these milks then that's great!
I just read somewhere that if there gut isn't right then you shouldn't wean them. So was worried that maybe her allergy was greater than I had thought.
My health visitors aren't very informative. Got a good doctor so will see him again :-)

Thanks for sharing ur experiences everyone x

EMS23 Fri 22-Feb-13 21:40:32

DD1 was on Nutramigen from 11 weeks to 1 year. From memory her nappies were green for a good few weeks and probably till she started weaning.

DD2 is on Neocate, after showing continuing symptoms with Nutramigen. Her poo is still green and runny but she's only 22 weeks and not weaned yet.

Is your DD showing any other ongoing symptoms of her intolerance? Is she gaining weight well? Perhaps speak to your doctor or health visitor? Be warned though, my experience of trying to get the doctor to prescribe Neocate has not been great. It's expensive and they can be reluctant. I was glad it was my second child as I felt more confident in standing my ground.

Good luck .

MagratGarlik Fri 22-Feb-13 21:24:56

MamaSteph, it is quite a while since my DC's were at the milk stage, but I didn't want to leave your thread unanswered. Ds2 moved from breastfeeding to neocate at 13 months as he outright refused nutramigen. Neocate does give them green poo, and iirc so can nutramigen and pepti too.

Tbh though when we were first moving to hypoallergenic formula the doctor just prescribed us a small amount of each type and told us to feed back to him on what worked best. Perhaps you can enquire if your doc would be prepared to do similar. Stopped lots of repeat visits to him.

MamaSteph Fri 22-Feb-13 21:00:21

First time I've started a thread, would have been nice if people could have replied to offer their advice or experiences to a fellow mum!

MamaSteph Fri 22-Feb-13 08:38:42

Hi everyone I know there has probably been lots of these threads but just wanted to ask your opinions about my baba and her cows milk protein allergy!
She is 15 weeks old and since 9 weeks old she has been on Nutramigen lipil after being diagnosed (just through symptoms) with CMI.
She has really explosive nappies that are green and often diarrhoea in consistency. Even when they aren't they are still very loose.
Is this normal on nutramigen or could her allergy be greater and she needs the next step milk such as Nutramigen AA or Neocate?

Any experiences of ur own, opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now